HIV Prevention Community
DNA PCR TEST

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

DNA PCR TEST

Labcorp's DNA PCR test claims that it can detect as little as 20 copies of HIV DNA. Could it be possible that this much is not shown after three weeks of exposure? (18 days)

I am experiencing many ars symtoms (symptoms) and want to know if this test would be able to detect HIV DNA this early.
Not approved for diagnosing HIV.
Not an approved test for diagnosing HIV.
wrong PCR test people--you both should have had the RNA not DNA.
The RNA looks for the HIV virus itself,the DNA is a Viral Load test not used to diagnose HIV but rather to monitor people that already have the virus but it is used as a diagnostic test for infants born to HIV+ mothers.
Yes it is,this is only my opinion,if the DNA was positive then I believe there is not much doubt that the person has been exposed to HIV but if it's negativethen you can't say with 100% certainty that the person is indeed negative,where as the DUO test or Elisa antibody test would be more conclusive taken at the correct timeframes.
If you were experiencing genuine ARS symptoms then that test would have been positive.
A person could get a positive DNA result for a number of reasons that have no bearing on one's HIV status.
Most people will have extremely high viral loads in the early stages of infection so a false negative would be unlikely if you happened to be one of those people.The problem is that not all infected people will have a detectable viral load.
Yes,in the millions of copies.
You're welcome