HIV Prevention Community
Daily worries

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Daily worries

Hello i am a male in my mid twenties,

The last week I have increased thoughts and worries about acquiring HIV.
The reason for this was a recent visit to a massage parlour. Before this I had some years ago the unsatifying experience of a broken condom with a lady from russia, moscow. This has probably started my interest and fears of acquiring hiv.

It is very important for me to know that HIV can only be transmitted through these three routes:

- unprotected vaginal / anal intercourse (PENETRATION)
- sharing iv drug works
- mother to child

Still I worry when:
- I go sit on a toilet somewhere, where I am afraid that my glance or head of penis will touch the edge
- Or when touching things in a toilet and when I than subsequently touch my eyes.
- Also do I wonder if sticking my finger or dirty tissue in my nose (and eyes) when having an infected fluid on my hands will cause a hiv infection.
- Using toilet paper that seems to have some drops of liquid on it
- Sitting on a dirty couch
- Drinking by accident from a glass or can that is not mine

Please someone try to describe or explain again very cleary to me that there is in the daily life nothing to worry.

This would make a huge contribution in my quality of life, since I can read the explanation when the worries return.

Since these worries take a lof of energy away from me, also do I not have the resources to go and look for mental health care since this will cost a lot of money with our new health system here in the netherlands.
Then I suggest you stay off the Internet instead of fueling your anxiety.
The HIV virus is extremely fragile outside of the human body and cannot be acquired by casual contact or through fomites such as toilets and glasses, as the virus is rapidly killed.
It can only be spread via infected body fluids like blood and semen.

Hope this helped.
HIV is not alive, it is either active or inactive.
Hi T and P,

Ok. I only go on the internet when fear starts to arise.
But I will try strongly to learn that the virus outside its host is extremely fragile and
can't infect me if I go on a strange toilet and my glance bumps to toilet bowl edge into semen e.g. other fluid.

So only these three routes to keep in mind?

- sharing iv drug works
- mother to child
Please answer some more regarding my initial question and previous post..
I would be really helpful, thanks..