HIV Prevention Community
Depression

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Depression

Dear Friends,

Facts:
Three weeks: sex with sex-worker with condom it didn´t broke, because i filled it with water and all O.K.

One week I had sex with two sex workers.  I was drunked, I don´t know if  Ihad sex without protection with them. I called one sex worker who was with me this night and She said me, "You were very drunked, but We used condoms, for anal and vaginal sex and the condoms didn´t break"(She believe it, but I don't know if the condoms broke and if she is lying).

I was tested 2 months ago (three months after "pre-last" sexual encounters) and the tests (2 test in different laboratories came back negative).

In this week I had fever, little noodles in my neck, pain in my body... and depression because I feel it's ARS.

The questions are:

1. Am I in a high risk level for HIV?
2. Should I be tested in 3 and 6 months (Do you recommend it)?
3. Can continue my life without thinking about HIV or Should I wait the test results?
4. Do you think I am infected?
5. Do I have ARS?

Thanks.

DarkMaster.
Hi there,

If you have tested negative 3 months after your last exposure, the result is conclusive.  No further test is required.

**ps, can't understand the time frame you have written... : o )
:)
First off, you should stop the risky behavior with sex workers. All it takes is one time where the condom breaks (especially with anal... this is more likely). Sex workers don't really discriminate who they have sex with, and they might consider without a condom for a little extra money. You really should be worried about other STDs like syphilis...

Second, I can't understand your testing and exposure times you have written.

If you tested at the 3 month mark, it is almost definitive. Some people don't show positive until after 3 months though (very small percentage and this is rare). This is why most PCPs and STD clinics recommend a follow up test at 6 months. That one is conclusive...

I strongly encourage that you talk to your doctor about testing times if you are confused by any of this. Anyone can sign up and post on these forums . . . so you could be taking advice from someone who really has no clue what they are talking about.

Some people don't show signs of ARS (but most do, usually between 2 & 4 weeks after exposure). I am not sure what noodles in your neck is but... doesn't sound like HIV.

You are almost conclusively negative. You shouldn't worry about the past, period. Focus on engaging in healthy behaviors because these types of behavior takes a toll on the body and mind. Exercise has been shown to reduce anxiety and depression. Try going to the gym.

Hi there,

Firstly, you address to the wrong name. Even if it is to me...wrong spelling  : o)

Secondly, the consensus amongst experts, is that a 3-month window period is sufficient, provided no further risk exposure takes place. Those who required further test after 3rd month will know themselves when they go for thier test.

Thirdly, you are absolutely rite about
" I strongly encourage that you talk to your doctor about testing times if you are confused by any of this. Anyone can sign up and post on these forums . . . so you could be taking advice from someone who really has no clue what they are talking about. "

Fourthly, ...."I am not sure what noodles in your neck is but... doesn't sound like HIV"............HIV is diagnosed through a blood test, not through signs and symptoms

You may wish to update yourself with the latest factual information reagrding HIV.

Hi there,

Thirdly, you are absolutely rite about ..." I strongly encourage that you talk to your doctor about testing times if you are confused by any of this. Anyone can sign up and post on these forums . . . so you could be taking advice from someone who really has no clue what they are talking about. " .....LIKE YOU? : ) hahaha

Fourthly, ...."I am not sure what noodles in your neck is but... doesn't sound like HIV"............HIV is diagnosed through a blood test, not through signs and symptoms .

You may wish to update yourself with the latest factual information regarding HIV.
Sir, please explain to me how someone can know if they need further testing post 3 months by "knowing themselves"? A follow up 6 month test is always recommended, especially for individuals who may fall in the category of high risk. It is plain irresponsible to say a 3 month test is 100% conclusive. There are many cases where people don't test positive until after 3 months.

Yes, please. Give me a link to your information source that says it's okay to tell a person that a 6 month follow up test is not needed. Please update me on the latest facts. Seriously, I would appreciate it.

I was trying to help the guy out. Come on "noodles in your neck" . . . and YES there are symptoms of ARS. I'm pretty sure a spaghetti neck isn't on the list. You see, I was responding to his post not yours... helping him out not you. Sorry if I created a bit of cognitive dissonance on your part.

You are not helping anyone, you are giving out incorrect information. If you don't know what you are talking about don't post. 3 months is the guidelines and has been since 2004.
Sorry, I do know what I'm talking about.

http://www.thebody.com/content/prev/art41080.html -----> says 6 months

http://www.thebody.com/content/prev/art6113.html -----> says 6 months

Telling someone to retest again at 6 months is not incorrect information. Please, Teak, send me a link to some sort of document that supports the idea that 3 months is conclusive and there's no need to repeat at 6 months. Everything I've read and every doctor I've talked to has said otherwise.

Then all I have to say for you, is you are not talking to anyone that is up to date on the testing guidelines.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

page 11 mumber 4.
every doctor on this forum and even on the body says 3 months is conclusive, the only exception on the body is the Dr. Bob says to test out to 6 if you have a KNOWN, HIGH RISK exposure.

6 months is old news, most convert in 25 days and 97% by 2 months. The outliers have immune problems, are on chemo or antirejection drugs or are chronic injecting drug abusers.
I would also like to see the "many cases" of people testing positive after 3 months that are not dated from 1995 and earlier.