HIV Prevention Community
Did a PEP-treatment after oral risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Did a PEP-treatment after oral risk

Dear all,

8 weeks ago I was stupid enough to perform oral sex on a guy who admitted afterwards that he was HIV-positive. He did not *** in my mouth as such, but his first load shot into my mouth and I kept sucking for a while after he had ejaculated. So I definitely had his semen in my mouth. Having talked to a counsellor on a telephone hotline, I went to my local hospital asking about the possibility of a PEP-treatment. The counsellor said that it was likely they wouldn
Who ever gave you PEP were nuts. You didn't need PEP for oral sex.
Hi Teak, thank you for your input. I know oral HIV transmission is very unlikely - but they offered me it nonetheless, because I was absolutely certain that he was HIV-positive, and I have had his semen in my mouth.

Is it because PEP-treatment is costly that they usually don't hand it out for oral risks? I mean even though it's a small risk? I guess I was lucky when it comes to side effects, because I hardly had any except the first two days.

On one hand doctors say "oral sex is not safe sex" on the other hand they say "no PEP for oral risks" - as I said - I know that the risk is small, but I think when you know your partner is HIV-positive and you know that you had semen in your mouth I personally think PEP is ok... But then again - I'm no doctor... (I'm just scared :-))
While it may be a 'theoretical' risk only, HIV is not a 'theoretical' virus. Good call regardless, I say. You can never be too sure. I wish I had gotten PEP after my 'exposure;' I'd trade that for the worry/freak out I've been having for the last 54 days, for sure.
Side effects from PEP are more dangerous than your negligible risk of oral sex and PEP is not 100% effective even if you would have had a high risk. Yes, 28 days is expensive, but not half as expensive as to what the effects could have been.  
did you get PEP 1-2 hours after possible exposure? and did you finish PEP? whats your your HIV result
What are you talking about? I've been positive for 23 years before they had any medication other than AZT.
A conclusive test after PEP is 13 weeks my friend. Don't take my response as being upset with you. It is being upset with a Dr that doesn't know is butt from a whole in the ground when prescribing PEP. What medication did your Dr. prescribe?
I started the PEP-treatment about 18-20 hours after the incident. It went on for 30 days, and I completed the treatment. Didn't eat much the first week, lost 10 pounds. Had nausea throughout the whole month but for some reason it was worst in the last 2 weeks. All in all - although it wasn't fun(!), I think I was lucky regarding side-effects, which can be pretty severe (as I understand it).

I had a test at treatment-start (which was negative), another after one month (which also was negative), and I had another test Tuesday (after 2 months) and I'll get the result from that next week. If the test turns out to be negative, which I pray that it will, I'll need a final test after the 12-week mark...

I was given Kaletra and Combiwir and was told to take 2 pills (1 of each) 2 times a day - for a month.
FYI (if interested) - my 8 week test (taken last week) was negative (got the answer today). Tomorrow is 9 weeks after incident. So - 3 more weeks to go :-/ Fingers crossed... I pray the last test will be negative as well.

God bless you all!
u dunt need more tests yaar....i feel so...
REST on experts like teak n mike...follow them
Thanks for your comment. I'm gonna take the test at 12 weeks to be 100% sure.

Actually, I have read somewhere that if you do a PEP-treatment, you should actually wait ANOTHER 4 weeks (making it 16 weeks total from date of risk-incident), because the treatment may have supressed the virus in that first month, so it wouldn't show in the test - but my doctor said this wasn't so... Confusing to say the least - but I'm going with my doctors words...

Any comments on that - PEP-treatment vs. reliable test result are welcome!

Best wishes!
I'd think that any test at any time would be fine, since you weren't at any real risk anyway. You shouldn't have had PEP in the first place.
> "I'd think that any test at any time would be fine[...]"

Thank you for your input. I'm unsure, what you mean by this?
"While it may be a 'theoretical' risk only, HIV is not a 'theoretical' virus. Good call regardless, I say. You can never be too sure. I wish I had gotten PEP after my 'exposure;' I'd trade that for the worry/freak out I've been having for the last 54 days, for sure."

1. You think PEP is easy **** ?
2. "HIV is not a theoretical virus" What do you know about HIV ?
3. You wanted to have PEP for non-risk scenario, this is stupid, it's PEP not Antacid
4. If you would have dealt with your anxiety, read about transmission and listened to what others had advised you would have not trade for the worry you've been having for the last 54 days, for sure too !
You result would be HIV negative, you are an idiot to go for PEP and the one who gave you the same was a super duper idiot.

You can't acquire the virus from the incidence you've mentioned here even though your partner was HIV positive.
I'm sorry, Mike. I have no idea what going through pep consists of. This is true. I guess I hope I never know from the sound of it. HIV scares the **** out of me; this is true as well. HIV should scare the **** out of everyone these days enough to take all risk of acquiring it away. However, HIV does not dominate the headlines the way it did in the 90s yet it is obvious the virus is still spreading worldwide. This is my first scare with it...extremely strange symptoms after a sexual encounter (low risk or not). I'm still not sure how oral sex is a non risk scenario if there are possible circumstances that could create a risk scenario. Nonetheless, we should all at least think before we get a blowjob, go down on a girl, or engage in the activity above. Any MD will agree with that. While this may be a 'difficult' virus to transmit, the risk is VERY real and the virus DOES exist in large numbers. Calling overthepond an idiot for this does not solve anything. I'm still nervous after a 54 day negative test no matter how low the odds. I am not obsessing with this as much as I once did, but the fear still exists...and you know what, if I come out of this without seroconverting, other than some lost sleep and tons of time dicking around on the internet, I will consider my anxiety worthwhile as I, regardless of outcome, am going to be a TON more careful in the future. As I'm sure overthepond and every other person who comes out of this site negative will be.
I apologise, I didn't want to be rude but you people make me sick some times, you guys don't have a risk to begin with and loose sleep over it, look at the mother who's expecting her baby tested positive on an ELISA and negative on the WB, look at the the fella who's buddy tested positive and probably might have infected an innocent wife for nothing at all.........

Look, I told y'all oral sex is no risk believe it or not it's at your complete discretion, I can bet any thing you want me to on your as well as overthepond 's result . It'll be negative and that is the bottom line.
Dude, of course we appreciate you guys. You are the constant ones saying, for the most part, relax, you don't really have anything to worry about. Without you guys we'd all be much worse off. There have really only been a few really extremely high risks posts anyways (ie unprotective anal with known HIV+). It's just the internet usually fucks us over with descriptions of symtoms (symptoms). By the way, how do you feel about take home instant tests. They could help me through this. Or is it not worth the potential positive or false positive that would probably send many of us over the edge without counselling or retesting.

Thanks, man.
still no answer on this.
Sorry, wasn't near the computer.

I don't advise for home testing kits for a numerous reasons

1. False positive

2. Most of the time, people testing on these lits are not satisfied later

3. Possibility of application error

A rapid (20 mins) test is a better option.
Got it. It's just hard to wait. Thanks, man.
Don't worry, it'll be negative :)
Thanks for your input to you both...

I'm pretty sure that oral sex is not risk-free - the odds are low, but risk-free it is not.

When they let me have the PEP I was in for a check-up after one week. Besides getting my test-result for the test done on risk-day I guess this week-after check-up is for evaluating the side-effects of the PEP-treatment. Since I only had some side-effects the first couple of days (besides nausea, which was pretty much the whole month) I think that's why they let me continue with the PEP. If I had major side-effects I'm sure they would have cancelled the treatment.

I live in Denmark (Europe) so guidelines may differ from yours. Normally they don't offer PEP after oral-risk, but they did for me. Dont' know what to say besides that...

I'm glad you feel confident that I will turn out fine, mike_no, but for me it's about being 100% sure. Both the doctor and the hotline adviser told me not to worry. This has proved impossible :-/

I pray my final test in 3 weeks will be negative as well, so I can move on. And yes - I have learned my lesson for sure.

I hope the best for you as well!
Oral sex is only a theoretical risk,
practically, it takes lot of trying to get HIV from oral sex.
hence it is no risk, move on.
Receiving oral is no risk. However from my understanding, giving oral is considered as very very low risk. It could happen but very rare.
hello, just wondering if yall have ever seen a 12 week neg after PEP go pos. does the whole 6 month deal really apply??? i just had a 16 week neg yesterday through local hospital, they use the orasure with blood test. so i would really like to really on that 16 week test ( 12 week after PEP) - esposure was unprotected vag with CSW. thank you all, i'm learning everytime i go on here.thanx again. this is a life changing event. bless all
12 weeks is conclusive
12 weeks test after your last dose of PEP is conclusive.
I  was told by the doctor at the hospital, that I could trust a 12 week test post incident - not post PEP. So - either way you're safe! I had my 12-week test done today - I'll get the results later this week.

So much is determined in the next couple of days it's scary beyond belief. I pray all is well. Best wishes to you all...
If you were on PEP you will need to take the test 12 post the last dose of PEP. Not from the time of exposure. But then again you didn't have a risk to begin with.
thank you teak for answering so promptly. so i'm guessing you havn't seen anyone turn pos. after 12 weeks post PEP. how come they are so adament about retesting at 24 weeks? can i really rest assured on this 16 week test? i'm still scarred. had tons of anxiety for the past months and would like it to all stop. naturally, had all the sx. no gross fever, 98.3-99.5, tought i saw a rash, freaked over my normal mouth flora, but i did get oral ulcers to the back of my mouth,.roof area. lost like 5-7 pounds first month, but probably because i couldn't drink beer or anything while on the combivir. so mostly subjective i guess. man, the mind can do some serious stuff to you. where do you get this info from? because everywhere i look and ask they say do the 6 month test for absolute conclusion. it makes sense to me as well to just void those first 4 weeks.... the half life of the meds isn't to long...so i would think it just as you do. i think you have been quite helpful teak. thnx. brief Hx on my situation:

unprotected insertive vag with CSW,  25march,..on meds 27th in am, end regimen 24th

negative initial, (all antibody testing), - 2, -4, -6, -9, -11, -12, -14, -16,

i would be totally confident with the 3 month neg, but i read everywhere it may take up tp 6 months because i messed with my immune system by taking the antiviral medications. i also read that there has only been a couple incidents of prolonged or delayed seroconversion, but where occupational in origin. so i'm just hoping that i don't convert late,.....just scarred. anyways thanx teak and the rest of you guys on this forum. best wishes to all.
nPEP is not recommended for oral sex. (nPEP means non occupational exposure)

nPEP testing for a risk is:
baseline when first asking for PEP via rapid testing
then testing at 4-6 weeks
then conclusive at 6 months.

The risk is:
any bodily flood containing visible blood and a known source from someone that is HIV positive
That includes IV drug users that share works.

Thank you, teak! I appreciate your posts!

I know my risk was low (and that pep usually isn't issued for that) but it's a scary thing to come in contact with that virus - in what ever way, I guess. I don't know why my doctor said that I could trust my 12-week results and you say 12-week post PEP. Maybe it's because I live in another country and the guidelines are different, I don't know. But that was what I was told. I'll be sure to ask again on Friday (when I think I'm getting the results). I pray it will be negative and I can begin to put this behind me.

Thanks again!
so i'm not in the clear right? i had the negative 16 week (12 post PEP) but i guess i can throw that out the window. nPEP for unprotected insertive Vag with a CSW of unknown status. here comes the anxiety.
was that 12 week post PEP intended for overthepond? i understand that was a low risk event that probably didn't warrent PEP from the begining. so i was just wondering if that comment only pretained to that specific situation, unlike mine where there is a possible increase in chance. i know ultimately i will end up doing the 24 week test. but i just wanted to rest my brain for a while i guess, stop worrying and live again. i feel like i have been dead for 3+ months.
Think logically.....Your doctor probably told you to trust your 12 week post exposure result because YOU NEVER HAD A RISK.  In your first post above you report that your doctor told you that she would not have given you PEP...actually she said "no chance of me getting the PEP-treatment."  This tells you that she did not believe that you had a credible risk or any risk.  You should have trusted her in the first place and avoided taking toxic meds and stress for almost two months.  But being in your situation, I know it's hard to listen to people saying "don't worry" when you feel that you are at risk.  Relax and expect a negative result.
Well, maybe - but then again... I DID ask - I mentioned that I had read something about pep might delay seroconversion and that pep might repress the virus so much in the first month that antibodies wouldn't show etc. But she said that they had no evidence of such, and no guidelines that said anything else than a 12 week test is to be trusted. Directly asked 'can you trust your 12 week test - "even though" I had been on pep' she replied "Yes!". And this is a department doctor (at the infectious disease department), ph.d. and everything :-)

Anyway - I have an appointment on Friday where I hopefully will get the results (there's the holiday which might affect that, but I hope not) - and I'll be sure to ask again!

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
For you, it wouldn't matter and it is not recommended to give to someone with an oral exposure. Luckily, you didn't have a bad reaction to the meds.
so i explained to my pcp my situation, n he said 12 weeks post pep was sufficient. i feel better! great!
I gave you the most up to date guidelines on testing with PEP usage.
"For you, it wouldn't matter" - what do you mean, Teak? Please forgive me - but I'm not quite sure I understand you...?!

No, as mentioned my side-effects were minor. I'm sure they would have pulled me off the PEP, if I was having a hard time with severe side-effects.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!

Bless you all!
They are not to prescribe PEP for people that had oral sex as their only risk. Whomever gave you PEP doesn't know what they are doing.
I trust you believe I'll turn out negative? That's comforting as I know you have a lot of expertise on this matter. Thank you for your replies. It means the world to me in my situation. I'm still very, very scared but I hope I'll be able to put this behind me if the final test turns out negative as well... Thanks again!
STOP THE DRAMA YOU *****.
I've had Molluscum Contagiosum (more or less harmless warts) on my thighs for quite some time now (even before the risk-incident 3 months away). They seem to have spread during the last 3 months - I now read that Molluscum Contagiosum CAN be a sign of HIV... Oh my god, I'm freaking out I'm so scared now...
That's why we say, you can't go by signs and symptoms to diagnose HIV. Now read below.

Molluscum contagiosum results from an infection by the molluscum contagiosum virus — a member of the poxvirus family. This virus spreads easily through direct skin-to-skin contact and through contact with contaminated objects, such as toys, doorknobs or faucet handles. The virus also spreads through sexual contact with an affected partner. Scratching or rubbing the papules spreads the virus to nearby skin. Heat and moisture in the fold areas of skin, such as the armpits, may hasten the spread of the virus.

rhymes with loosey, starts with a P.
I know that could be the case, but when you read something like "In people with HIV infection, molluscum contagiosum is often a progressive disease" at least I get scared. It might not be related to HIV but it CAN BE.

As written above I get my 12 week test (8 weeks post pep) results later this week. I'm on the edge of break down - not a minute goes by without me thinking of this :-( Thank you, Teak, for your input. I truly appreciate it.

Jaguar83 - plz don't use your time/energy to reply. I'm not doing this because I think it's funny, but because - whatever small risk it might be - I HAVE been in contact with HIV and that has scared me like nothing I've ever felt before.
Hey, man, I'm sorry.

I thought you were another poster (the glory hole operator). I apologize. Good luck, man.
Seek the help of a mental health professional. There is no more anyone can do for you here. You are beyond anyones scope on this forum.
Dear Teak, I get your point. I'm sure anxiety is a major part of my fear - but this has proved a first time life-altering experience for me - so I don't quite know how to react :-)

I just phoned the hospital and they told me that my latest 12 week test was negative too (thank God). I asked the nurse whether I could trust that 100% or I needed to be retested at another 4 weeks. She told me that I could trust it, and that I didn't needed to be tested again.

On Friday I'm going there for the follow up meeting (this was where I was supposed to have received the results, if I hadn't phoned them) - I'll be sure to double check with them there.
Just to let you know - I went to the follow up meeting today, and the nurse there too said I could trust the results 100%. I was welcome to come in and retest in another 12 weeks, if I wanted to but there was no professional reason for me to do so. So I'll do the best I can to put this behind me.

I want to thank all of you for your input and support. Thank you so much. I wish the best for all of you!

God bless!
You only need to test 13 weeks post after your last doses of PEP meds to get a conclusive result.
Just a quick update - I followed Teak's advice and got tested a last time at the 3 month mark post PEP - it came back negative as well. I'll do my best to put this behind me. Thank you all for your advice and input. Bless you all - and best of luck to those in similar situations!
I went to the hospital this morning for the morning after pill and also a std screening,I asked about the pep treatment (which the advice nurse suggested) and the doctor aid he felt I had a low risk,since there was no semen to be found in me even though the guy tampered with the condom,he says I'm lucky to have caught him in time.

He said pep is only prescribed in high risk cases and it does most likely cause side effects and damage to the liver.He said I should be more concerned about other stds since you can catch most from just skin contact.

I agree with teak,whoever gave you the pep should have thought it out more carefully ad considered the effects it can have on your liver.

You had a low risk,even though he ejaculated in your mouth,and how did he tell you he had HIV,was he trying to harm you on purpose.
It was a guy I had known for quite some time - and I had repeatedly asked him whether or not he was infected, which he denied. That day I noticed some contacts/a group (i'm not quite sure) on his MSN messenger named something with "hiv" and I asked him again - this time he admitted it. But this was after the oral sex.

I hope you'll be fine!
Side effects from PEP??? What about sides effects of HIV treatment for life???

I'll take the PEP... in no time... and advice to homosexuals... there are a lot of bad people outthere... if someone tells you I have nothing, dont just take their words, go and tell them lets go and get tested and prove it to me... if they come back negative, you can feel more save... of course there is always a risk.. the risk that the guy might be in his window period... in that case you'll be very,  very unlucky.................
You never rely on the word of anyone and have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. It doesn't matter if they are gay, bisexual or heterosexual. You are responsible to protect your own health.
couldnt agree more...