HIV Prevention Community
Difference between Enlarged lymph nodes and Abscess...

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi there...I would like to ask the difference between an enlarged lymph node and an abscess...thanks!!!
TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS...

abscess:
An abscess is a localized collection of pus that generally develops in response to infection. An abscess is typically painful, and it appears as a swollen area that is warm to the touch. The skin surrounding an abscess typically appears pink or red.

Abscesses can develop in many parts of the body, but they usually involve the skin surface. Common sites affected include the armpits, groin, rectal area (perirectal abscess), the external vaginal area (Bartholin's abscess), and along the tailbone (pilonidal abscess). Abscesses can also affect the brain, kidneys, liver (hepatic abscess), lungs, teeth (dental abscess), and tonsils (peritonsillar abscess). Inflammation surrounding hair follicles can lead to the formation of abscesses. Skin abscesses are often referred to as boils.

Unlike other infections, antibiotics alone will not cure an abscess. In general, abscesses must open and drain to improve. Although sometimes an abscess will open and drain spontaneously, it generally needs to be opened and drained (incision and drainage) by a health care providers.

lymph nodes (part of the lymphatic system):
Lymph nodes: "Human lymph nodes are bean-shaped and range in size from a few millimeters to about 1-2 cm in their normal state.

They may become enlarged due to a tumor or infection. White blood cells are located within honeycomb structures of the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are enlarged when the body is infected due to enhanced production of some cells and division of activated T and B cells.

In some cases they may feel enlarged due to past infections; although one may be healthy, one may still feel them residually enlarged."  Wikipedia.org

The lymph node provides an environment where lymphocytes can receive initial exposure to foreign antigens (viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc.), which activates the lymphocytes to perform immune functions.

Most lymph nodes form in clusters throughout the system, such as in the neck, armpit, and groin.

so,do enlarged lymph nodes contain pus???? can they be squeezed???
no...two different things
So I had been dealing with a sinus infection, got started on antibiotics for that 2 weeks ago.. Then a week later my throat was hurting and tonsils were enlarged, went back to Dr. whom said I had tonsillitis, caused from sinus infection.. He started me on another antibiotic..

Four days later I was feeling worse... Such as fever, flushed look, hoarse voice, could hardly swallow, and very weak..  My boss, whom is an RN, looked at my throat that Monday said I had white spots, which indicated possible strep.. She then took my temp, even though I took it an hr before indicated 98.0, it had already jumped to 102.3.. She sent me home right away.. I scheduled an appointment for that Tuesday..

When in the shower Tuesday morning I noticed a large golf ball size lump on my neck behind my ear and I also noticed a red rash on my right arm and chest.. When I got to the Dr. he did a throat swab strip test, which indicated positive.. I showed him my lump and rashes, which he said the rash was normal with Strep and that I had an abscess from the infection.. He shot me with a steroid + rocephin, and wrote me an order for an antibiotic to treat my abscess..  Went back today, Thursday as a follow up, and by now my rash has covered me from head to toe, my fever is still present, throat still swollen, and my abscess has almost doubled in size to the point I can't turn my neck.. He also told me that he had never seen a case of scarlet fever this bad.. He shot me again, this time with another antibiotic to treat my rash + more steroid... And was told to follow up on Monday..

Since then, I got home and have had a nasty taste in mouth + lips and mouth numbness tingling.. I have chills and hot flashes (wondering if the toxins are trying to flush out of body).. But I'm very curious if this abscess doesn't get better, and gets larger before Monday, if it can cause damage to nerves, my ear, or throat??? If you have an helpful hints please fire back any suggestions or input on my crazy case..
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers