HIV Prevention Community
Dipping, frotting and penetration

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Dipping, frotting and penetration

hi, a you know I'm confused with a recent sexual encounter. I've been googling stuff and I've come across some terms that need clarification.

what is the difference between frotting, dipping and penetration???

can there be dipping without penetration??

does applying pressure on the anus with the penis count as dipping or frotting???

does the rectum start just past the sphincter??

if the tip of the penis goes as far as the sphincter, is it dipping or is it still frotting??

and, what constitutes penetration during dipping if the penis isn't actually going in???
Tags: dipping, penetration, rectum, frotting
You really already know these answers, as many responses as you've gotten.

I'll briefly elaborate...

Frottage is external RUBBING, NO pentration, meaning the penis stays OUTSIDE of the vagina or anus.

can there be dipping without penetration?? NO.  Dipping is penetration, it's just brief and shallow usually.

does applying pressure on the anus with the penis count as dipping or frotting??? Frottage=OUTSIDE

does the rectum start just past the sphincter?? Irrelevant

if the tip of the penis goes as far as the sphincter, is it dipping or is it still frotting??  The sphincter is an internal structure.  If you've put your penis in far enough to reach it, it's penetration, but understand that you don't have to insert your penis all the way TO the sphincter for it to be penetration either.  If at ANY time you put your penis IN an anus, it's penetration, you're splitting hairs and making yourself nuts.

and, what constitutes penetration during dipping if the penis isn't actually going in???  With dipping, the penis DOES go in, again, it's usually brief, quick shallow thrusts.  It's still considered penetration.

You really need to seek help for your anxiety.  We cannot keep going over the same things over and over.  If you don't know the difference between your penis being INSIDE or outside the body, there's not much we can tell you, you know?

thank you very much. although for what you said and given the nature of what happened, even though there was no thrusting whatsoever, when he tried penetration, i'm afraid he might have "dipped" in a split of a second, since I said I felt the pressure on my sphicter. that, I guess, puts me at risk of catching hiv, which means I do need testing.

so , I have another question, if I get tested with a pcr/rna test along with an antibody test at 28 days post-expoure, will it be definite???
No, only an antibody test at 3 months is conclusive
thanks.
I will test at 4, 6 and 12 weeks then.
what do you think my odds are??? (I will still test even if they're slim, I just want to hear it from an expert to control my anxiety)

this is making me so very nervous, since i don't ever expose myself like this, but i was feeling low and I guess i trusted someone i shouldn't.

as I said, as soon as i felt his penis I moved away, which means if there was any insertion of the penis it was shallow and lasted for less than a second... Not that it makes a difference I guess.

please, just be honest with your opinion. nothing you say will prevent me from testing, but it will help me adress my anxiety. i'm a very nervous and fragile human being.
We don't give odds, but if it was quick then it was low
i understand. thank you and I will come back to share my results.
From everything you've posted, I don't think you were ever penetrated, and therefore didn't have a risk.  If you WERE penetrated, I agree the risk would be quite low, being the way you describe it.  It sounds more like your anxiety is making you question the sequence of events.
Thank you. I will till test, but I'm faithfull I have good chances of being negative. I'll keep you guys posted.