HIV Prevention Community
Do i need to take PEP

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Do i need to take PEP

Dear all;

24 hours ago, i had a protected sex with a sex-worker in both oral and intercourse. However, after ejaculation i found out that the condom was broken. I'm quiet sure that the unprotected sex was just less than a min but my semen was licked inside of her and most probably her fluid mix with my semen on my penis during the unprotected sex. Now i'm so worry about HIV infection while i do not know about her infection status. I went to dr and he told me the risk is very low and no need to have PEP since you do not have any cut or wounder on it. But i'm still worry as the time for PEP are going to be over. Am i under risk? Is the PEP really efficient? Can i go to have a P24 test now?

Thanks in advance
Before I go any further, please understand the taking of PEP is not something you should take lightly. The medicines contained in PEP are very strong and can be toxic. It's not a magic bullet that will stop HIV infection in all who take it anyway. The cut of period for PEP is 72 hours.

As far as I know the guidelines for being pprescribed a course of PEP is if you have had a confirmed exposure to HIV - ie with a partner who is already infected. I would be surprised if a Dr would give you PEP as your risk is slight. Also, you don;t say during what part of your enoucnter the condom split. If it was during the oral episode then there is no risk of HIV infection at all, however if it was during vaginal intercourse then there is a risk, albeit small, of HIV infection.

As for testing. If you take the PEP course for a month, you won;t be able to get a definitive test result until three months after your last does of PEP. And no, a P24 test will not reveal infection after 24hours. You will need to wait until about 21 days. But as you will know only a test taken three months after an epxosure will give a conclusive result.
the odds of becoming infected from a one time exposure is somewhere around 1 in 1,000...AND THAT IS IF SHE IS HIV POSITIVE.  take away that factor, since it is unlikely that she is, and your chance of becoming infected is low.  WITH THAT BEING SAID...a chance is a chance and a risk is a risk.  you should test to know your status.
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. The condom was split at the end of during vaginal intercourse. In other words; when i ejaculated i did not pull out immediately which caused to split the condom because it was full of semen. I'm pretty sure that before ejaculation it was ok.

Now it is 38 hours. If you really think that the PEP could be efficient, pls advice me.

I thank you very much.
If your own doctor decided against prescribing PEP to you, then you should just forget about it. As you were already advised, PEP is usually prescribed only when the partner is known to be HIV positive. It is unlikely that any doctor would prescribe it for you, given the low risk of your situation.

Just get tested as Lizzie advised.

I am visiting Dubai and I had vaginal sex with a hooker from Turkmenistan last night. The condom broke twice and I pulled out after I realised (probably within 30 sec to 1-2 mins). I did not cum and I am circumcised. She claimed she was clean and that I didn't need to worry. What are my chances of having caught an STD or HIV? Do I need to take PEP? What should I do? Do I need to get tested? When? I am really worried.
Start your own thread and your question will be answered.