HIV Prevention Community
Does acute Hepatitis c delay seroconversion?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Dear All,

I have been diagnosed with acute hepatitis c. I had unprotected sex with a call girl.

I have tested at 57 days using a rapid test.

How safe do you think I am? What percentage of people usually show antibodies by week 8?

I have read numerous account of acute hepatitis c delaying seroconversion. Is it true?

I have living in a virtual hell in the last few weeks.

Your answers would help me alleviate my stress.

tested negative for HIV at 57 days.
tested positive for hcv
would you answer please.
You had protected sex, you were never at risk as you have been told already.
Thanks Apollo,

I know, I am coming off as someone who is really paranoid. Also I know that I am sounding repetitive.I do not mean to be disrespectful to you or to waste your time.

That is not the idea.

The GI I went to said that my hep c infection was acute and recent. I had a hep c test earlier and I was negative.

This coupled with my cd4 drop from 857 to 454 in less than a month is making me anxious.

If vaginal fluid comes in contact with exposed penis (not urethera) is it a risk?
I had gargled and gulped water after removing my condom. I did not wash my hand before doing that.

If the back of the throat comes in contact with miniscule amount of blood or vaginal fluid , is that a risk?

I also splashed water on my face and eyes using the same hand.

I know, I sound repetitive, but I feel completely clueless as to why my cd4 count have dropped and how I acquired hcv in the same period. I do not have influenza either

You were already told in a previous post that you had no risk and that the HCV does not delay seroconversion.
HIV is not a risk when exposed to the air, so your concerns are not warranted and tbh, I doubt even possible.

Really, just stop worrying and taking pointless tests like you have, they only create more issues than resolving your concerns.

protected sex is not a risk and the other concerns you have would never result in HIV transmission.

CD4 count was quite pointless in regards to HIV but, the CD4 cells are made in the spleen, lymph nodes and the thymus gland, which are part of the lymph, or infection-fighting, system. CD4 cells move throughout your body, helping to identify and destroy germs such as bacteria and viruses

Your hep C could have an effect on those results but even a simple cold or virus ( not HIV ) could to, but this is not the forum for this. My CD4 cells were all over the place a few years ago, but I don't have HIV, see my point?

At the end of the day you didn't have a risk of HIV and that's all that can be said to you buds.
Thanks Apollo,

Answering someone like me  who sounds as anxious as I do can become very tiring. I understand that. Inspite of that, you take time out and explain, thats very generous of you.

Ok, if you suggest cd4 decrease has nothing to do with hiv thats a massive relief (Although I doubt if a simple cold or virus it could go down by 400 counts in 4 weeks) Please understand that I am not trying to argue.

I am only trying to make things clearer for me.

Although, where from I acquired acute HCV is something that I do not understand.

Thanks, nevertheless!

No problem. A little off topic to ease your mind. The normal count for Cd4 is 500 - 1500, at 350 that would be a concern. I cant remember my stats now, but they when down a lot in 6 weeks, scared the ... out of me, but the consultant didn't seem that concerned.

Just keep using the rubbers and you will be fine.
Time to move along,  you do not have an HIV concern.