HIV Prevention Community
Does having tonsillitis increase risk?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Does having tonsillitis increase risk?

Gave oral sex to a guy, to completion, with swallowing.  Immediately after remembered that I'm fighting a very mild case of tonsillitis (obviously very mind, if I forgot about it for a while).  Was wondering if semen making contact with tonsillitis is one of those things that would increase risk to any significant degree.
NO...
So the tonsil's white, puss spots wouldn't fall into the same category as having other sores, or STD's, etc. in the mouth, which are said to increase risk?
NO.
dear testing is the only way 2 be sure about your hiv status...if u have doubt get tested otherwise anxiety will eat your head..any  unprotected sex is not risk free..kissing is the only proven safe activity..though oralsex is low risk activity its not 100% safe
dear
hiv is NOT transmitted through oral sex ! ! !
Move on.
dont get scared but you shoud get tested dat would only help you...giving oral sex in not completely safe..i don know how they say that its 100%..till now only kissing is the only proven safe activity...let me explain you how.
1)while kissing you are coming in contact with only saliva of your partner and saliva contains very little amount of hiv and that too in later stage and at the same time your saliva will inhibit the entry of hiv.So its not possible but when it comes to oral sex you are coming in contact with semen which contains large amount of hiv so it can be considered risk but low risk.
Quit trolling this forum.
Thanks everyone ~ I'm actually not one of those anxious people that seem to be all over this forum (or looking for someone to explain to me why kissing is safe ~ I didn't just crawl out from under a rock LOL :)  I've read extensively about hiv transmission on thebody.com, which is a fantastic site.  I know that hiv is rarely, if ever, transmitted through oral; there has to be a whole set of conditions present (i.e. bleeding gums) for the possibility to exist.  I have read that having mouth sores/oral STD's increases the very small risk with oral, and was just wondering if the puss spots on your tonsils from tonsillitis counted as one of those ambiguous "sores" that supposedly increase the risk (if ever so slightly).  Thanks again ~
In 27+ years there has NEVER been a confirmed documented case of HIV being transmitted by oral sex.
I just got a response back from Dr. B at the B~ website.  Apparently he think's that having tonsillitis while performing oral sex would have a *theoretically* increased risk.

He wrote:

"Hi,
There are many different types of tonsillitis with varying degrees of severity and associated amounts of inflammation, from a severe bout of strep throat where it is painful to swallow (let alone think about deep-throating a throbbing tallywhacker) to low-grade cryptic tonsillitis (low-grade chronic inflammation). Consequently I'll only be able to address theoretical risk. Certainly if your tonsils are inflamed or actively infected, there would be a theoretical increased risk for the inflamed area to come into contact with HIV-infected fluids, such as spunk. This can be analogous to having an active STD in the mouth (gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, etc.). However, it's the degree of inflammation and the presence or absence of open sores or lesions that determines the level of HIV risk.
I'd suggest:
1. Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put your worries permanently to rest.
2. Get your chronic tonsillitis treated so you won't have this
concern the next time "something cums up" (so to speak).
Thanks again for your donation to The ____  _____  AIDS Foundation.
Be well.
Dr. Bob"
He told you to test at 3 months just to ease your mind. A theroritical risk is really zero.
We do not need the likes of you here, spreading false information.  Just because you spent time reading on the internet about HIV (or anything for that matter), does NOT mean you are educated about the topic.

And, your replies thus far prove that you have no clue what you are talking about.  Here, let me correct you (and the incorrect statements made by the OP as well):

"while kissing you are coming in contact with only saliva of your partner and saliva contains very little amount of hiv"

WRONG!!!  Saliva by itself does NOT contain HIV

"know that hiv is rarely, if ever, transmitted through oral; there has to be a whole set of conditions present (i.e. bleeding gums) for the possibility to exist."

WRONG AGAIN.  There has NEVER been a confirmed case of HIV being transmitted by HIV...bleeding gums included.

till now only kissing is the only proven safe activity...let me explain you how. "

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

Mutual masturbation is safe, as is oral sex.  

ARGH!
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers