HIV Prevention Community
Early HIV symptoms after PEP

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Early HIV symptoms after PEP

On 1st June I had a sexual intercourse which potentially exposed me to HIV. A post-exposure prophylaxis was started 15 hours after the intercourse, which ended on 4th July.

On 24th July I felt that my cervical glands were swelling, and a day later, tonsillitis symptoms appeared. Symptoms lasted for about a week and have progressively disappeared. On 30th July, after a GP appointment, I did blood tests for HIV (antibodies and p24 antigens), mononucleosis and toxoplasmosis. All tests came back negative, except for the toxoplasmosis IgG specific antibody rate which was at 285 lU/ml (I need to be tested again in three weeks to see how these specific antibodies have evolved, and see if there has been a recent infection).

I know that when a PEP is carried out, a test should only be made three months after the end of the treatment (presumably because the response time for antibodies and p24 antigens may take longer to reach a detectable level?)

Now, my question is whether the symptoms could be early HIV symptoms if a week after they appear, tests appear negative. In other words, could undetectable virus traces cause early HIV symptoms?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Your test 3 month post your last dose will be conclusive.
Anxiety can cause so many symptoms,  Human mind is a monkey, yet its highly capable of manupulating the body.

Chill out, relax, wait for your 3 months test , it is going to be negative.

NO it is most likely the withdrawal from the HAART (side effects) that is causing these symptoms and the is still more weird stuff and what seems to be symptoms still to come, just ignore all these. The negative 4 Th generation u had is a very good indication of your status. So  the test at 13 weeks is just a formality. The is no evidence that pep delays. I have taken PEP my self and had a negative dou at 4 weeks post pep that is 2 months from the date of exposure. I had all sorts symptoms during pep and after before i tested again some still come and go even after the negative test i had.Stop googling on the subject. If you need some reassurance search previous threads on the subject by Dr Jose or Sean about post pep testing
Your reply is totally incorrect. hopenothiv needs to ignore your reply.
Coming off nPEP does not cause side effects. A conclusive negative test result after taking nPEP is 3 months after the last dose of nPEP and not a 4 week test after completing nPEP does not give you any idea of what your results wil be at 3 months post exposure. A 4th generation DUO test is not even suggested for persons that have taken nPEP.
We know about all these viruses, their diagnoses, their prevention and their treatments through medical Professionals. Lets look at what one of them has to say on links provided below.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---International/IS-MY-NEGATIVE-RESULT-PCR-AND-4TH-GENERATION-ENCOURAGING/show/1391606

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---International/Post-PEP/show/1638875
Let's move along. Your statements were incorrect.
Teak has given you correct info, you would need to take an HIV test 3 months following your LAST dose of nPEP.

One can NEVER consider "symtpoms" or lack thereof when determining HIV status, only an HIV test will tell you your status.
You are right Lng07. It seems like the EXPERTS/Doctors who are getting paid to answer questions and the people who answer questions for free have different opinions when it comes to hiv testing and testing after pep. Just search through the old threads on here