HIV Prevention Community
Elevated liver enzymes
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Elevated liver enzymes

Hello,

Just wondering if people with early HIV infection (ie: 5 weeks) have elevated liver enzymes?

I have searched the net and there is nothing, no information on it at all. Just relates to HIV/Hep C co infection as Hep C is known to cause elevated liver enzymes. The rest is just how anti-HIV drugs cause liver enzymes to increase.

I am guess my slightly elevated liver enzymes have nothing to do with HIV infection given my low risk exposure, undetectable PCR at 10 days and negative antibody at 6.5 weeks.  

Thanks.
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
No, your liver enzymes would not be elevated in early HIV infection. Any Hepatitis infection can causes the liver enzymes to be elevated. Medications can cause an elevation in the liver enzymes.
Blank
Okay thanks Teak, that is a big relief. In short, I had a basically no risk exposure (protected oral!) but all these things are happening to my body.

Much appreciated
Blank
The GP looked at my numbers, said it was only a very slight elevation (by 2) and I know numbers can reach the hundreds. She just suggested a hep test, which was negative.

Anyway, in my anxious state, I went to the infectious diseases unit of a major hospital and the doc there also had me take a LFT etc, he said my numbers were "perfect"... he also said stress, lifestyle etc can elevate LFT's.

Again, Teak, if HIV does not cause this, then I will not worry any longer. Thanks!
Blank
HIV does not cause liver enzymes to elevate
Blank
just to elaborate, a virus, your eating habits, stress etc. can elevate enzymes easily. If you drink the night before you have a liver function test your enzymes will be significantly high.
Blank
With HIV, it's the medication that elevates you liver enzymes.
Blank
Thanks Teak.
Blank
Thank you also Rae1.

Well, I do not drink but if stress can cause LFT's to go up, then, that is certainly the culprit. I have been stressed, chain smoking, binging on McDonalds and KFC (have not touched this stuff for 4 years!), drinking way too much coffee and ceased my usual 6 days per work bodybuilding training - now, I think this is the reason. Thanks a heap for your clarification.

Cheers
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank