HIV Prevention Community
Elisa test

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Elisa test

Hiye, this may seem a silly question but is the Elisa test that is used for HIV the same as the Elisa test used for rheumatoid arthritis?.. Is the Elisa just a standard antibody test that is not disease specific and if reactive then a specific test is used?.. If this is the case then if one for tested for rheumatoid arthritis with Elisa and it was reactive for further test should no RA disease would the doctor then ask for permission for more blood tests or would this result just then be ignored as they were not looking for HIV. I know one can only know there status with a HIV test and i do not want a risk assessment i just want to know if anyone knows anything on this matter as i cannot find anything on the web..
Thankyou in advance
The Elisa antibody test is an Hiv test.I have never heard of it being used for anything other than the detection of antibodies for Hiv.
the elisa antibody test is used to detect antibodies to many different things.   it is specific to what is being tested for at that time...for example, if RA is being tested for, a RA antibody is added at a specific time to test for a reaction...for hiv, antibody for hiv is added, etc.  
Yes rightly said by Lizzie,,, Last year I got myself tested for HBV and HCV, and the tests were performed by using ELISA fourth generation.
Thankyou for correcting me,However,this is an HIV specific forum so all RA questions should be sent to the appropriate forum.Thankyou.
dont really think the question was about "RA"
After reasearching the Elisa test it is used in many different formats.Because I am so used to Elisa testing where Hiv is concerned I got confused.Apologies to you.
thanks for your replies.. reading online it says that the Elisa tests have picked up other infections such as RA in a HIV setting because of there sensitivity hence then why a western blot is then done to look for the actual virus, am i right in then thinking if this is the same test if someone was tested for RA and was past the window period for any sexual encounters HIV too would be picked up on the test causing a positive reading but then RA ruled out by a disease specific test and the doctor wanting to do further tests in identifying the antibodies source of infection?
I believe each Elisa is specific to what type of antibodies it's looking for.So if you had an elisa Hiv test,it would be looking for antibodies produced by the immune system for Hiv,same would apply to RA,the elisa would be searching for those antibodies that would be produced if someone had RA.From reading It was established that each Elisa is specific to what antibodies it is looking for,just the name Elisa is the same,that's all.