HIV Prevention Community
Ex Partner has HIV

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Ex Partner has HIV

Hello everybody, just joined this forum in search of some answers.  I recently found out that my ex is HIV positive.  I have not had any sexual contact with him since the end of May 2009, and I last tested for HIV at the end of February 2010, which is exactly 9 months later.  My results are negative.  Can I assume that even though he is positive, that I can trust my negative result 9 months later.  Or do you suggest I test out to a full 12 months?  

Would you advise those that find out that ex partners are positive test till later, or do the same rules apply that those that don't?

Thank you
the window period from 2004 has been 3 months..
the fact that you tested negative after 9 months means you are CONCLUSIVELY negative..

Thank you for your response.  I did logically think that was the case, but I guess the recent news has just made me think the typical what if questions, and make me think, maybe, just maybe, I just haven't seroconverted yet.

Any other forum members who want to chip in with their views, please feel free to!
you have to believe your test results as hiv antibody tests are very accurate
Hi, I know exactly what your going through, but you are defintely fine because the window period is usually from 3 to 6 months. I'm not a doctor or anything but I read a couple articles where it states 97% to 99% of people test positive after 3 months and others rarely at 6 months. I'm going through hell as of now, waiting for the 6 month test, I got 3 more months to go. Please wish me luck and if I were you I would just live my life and from now on start using protection or staying abstinent. I went through a similar situation 3 months ago and am so scared.
Good luck my dear, I am sure you will be fine.  I was getting over it all as I had suspected my ex partner of cheating on me repeatedly, but this new information has really got me very anxious again.  That is why I am questioning whether I can rely on my 9 month result.  Can you tell me why if 3 months is conclusive, are you testing out to 6 months, have you been advised by a Doctor?