HIV Prevention Community
Expired Medication

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Expired Medication

Sorry to be back and I hope I can get a quick answer. Before my 3 month test I was taking acne gel which I leave on at night, on it's own I know it makes no difference. However it states it must be used within 2 months, I think I first opened it 4-5 months ago. Would this have an affect on the test?
Acne gel has no interference with your test.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the response, I knew this but my concern was that it was meant to be used within 2 months of opening. I think I'd opened it 4-5 months prior, however I only used it a few times in the 3 months.
You don't have an HIV concern, you have already obtained a conclusive negative test result.
Avatar n tn
Thanks, so no medicine (even expired ones) would affect that negative test?
As a general rule, printed expiry of the medicines, cosmetics and food product is referenced from the date of manufacture. Your cream might have lost its efficacy against acnes but still it has nothing to do with accuracy of your HIV test.