HIV Prevention Community
Exposure to Blood on Surface

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Exposure to Blood on Surface

I work at an outdoor facility that has wooden planks for flooring. A guest at my facility of unknown status cut his foot open on a splintered board today. There was a trail of blood drops back to the broken board, but no blood visible on the shard that appeared to have cut him. I was picking tearing off the shard of broken board and cut my thumb with it, causing a light laceration that bled.

What is my risk from this? Do I need PEP? It is 85 degrees outside, although the board was probably a bit hotter. Could the virus survive for 5-10 minutes outside of the body?

Thank you.
None
No
No