HIV Prevention Community
Extreme HIV Anxiety

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Extreme HIV Anxiety

Dear Expert,

I am a male in my mid 20s from Delhi, India. Here goes my story:

1.) 3 years back in 2009, I was in a relationship with a girl for about one year. We got physically intimate after about 9 months of dating. We did not have sex (no intercourse). Our activity was restricted to intimate kissing and touching.

2.) I happened to have kissed her near her genitalia, somewhere above the clitoris. She was standing, I was kneeling, so whatever could have been exposed. The kiss was a single kiss for a very short duration, say 2-3 secs maximum.

3.) Other activity during the encounter included :

a.) her touching my penis after touching her genitalia.
b.) I sucked and kissed her nipples, and navel. At that time I had known her for almost 10 months and she told me that she was a virgin (though later I developed some doubt). The probability of her lactating at that time is very low as I had not known her to be pregnant atleast immediately before and during those 10 months when we dated.
c.) Kissing on lips.

We broke-up later on. And due to my apprehensions I got tested at a government clinic for HIV at around 5 month mark which came out negative. This year because of the 6 month mark debate, I got tested for HIV again to be sure and the result came out to be negative again, along with a negative result for VDRL as well.

Now the deal is that I just can't get out of a mental loop of weird questions popping in my head.

1.) I got tested again this year (i.e., after 3 years) because I am here in India, Delhi, and I was not sure of the technology that is used for testing and the window period associated with it. Three years back when I tested negative in 2009, the operator at the government clinic told me that it was a maximum of 6 months and conducted a 30 minute test (which came out negative).

2.) My main confusion is,firstly, that though I have tested negative again this year (after 3 years - at a private clinic, and the doctor maintained the 6 month window in this case also), was it too long a period to have a proper test? How reliable are my test results? Am I ok to move on? Both my reports mentioned that my status was NON-REACTIVE and NEGATIVE. Is that good enough? Or are there other indicators in the report that need to be taken into account?

Secondly, I performed so many activities during my last encounter, which I have mentioned (three years back - I havent had any other encounter since), are two negative test results good enough to ensure that I am safe? I mean, does the fact that I performed a number of activites (like kissing near genitalia and kissing/licking nipples), is a single / or two negative test results good enough to cover all HIV transmission risks that might have been present?

I will be extremely extremely grateful for any response that could help ease my anxieties down.

Thanks a ton in advance.

No HIV risk at all.
HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child