HIV Prevention Community
Extremely Nervous
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extremely Nervous

Can someone please assist me with the following questions? I have not slept in the past two days.  Two days ago I went to a tattoo parlour to get a tattoo, I slightly remember seeing him open a disposable needle but after that I did not see anything else that was done to set up the instrument.  I know this was silly of me but it was only after I finished my tattoo that I became nervous about health risks.  

Therefore, my questions are 1) Is there any risk of contracting HIV by getting a tattoo? 2) Can the HIV virus survive in tattoo ink? 3) Can the virus survive on the needle? 4) Can the virus survive in the needle holding tube? 5) How soon should I take an HIV test?

I really would appreciate responses to this question from Doctors on the medical team as well as anyone else.

Nervous
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
according to the cdc...there has never been a documented case of someone getting hiv from a tattoo.
Blank
I understand that there has never been a documented case, but based on the factors that I have outlined, am I at any risk? Do I have anything to worry about?
Blank
173325_tn?1213940121
There was 0 risk here and it's never been known to happen, so why would you worry?

Blank
417144_tn?1225962848
Hi there,

You are not at risk.  No test is needed.

Cheers!
Blank
1. No
2. Tattoo ink is not reused on other people and the answer is NO.
3. Tattoo parlors use sterile needles on each customer. So the answer is NO.
4. No
5. You don't need to test you were never at risk.

Don't ask anymore questions on tattooing. If you can't get over it. Don't ever get another tattoo.
Blank
Ok...I appreciate all of your responses.  Dr. HHH, I would be grateful for a reply from you as well, just to confirm what the others have said.
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
pay your 15.00 and post it on the ask a doctor forum
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity