HIV Prevention Community
Extremely Nervous

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Extremely Nervous

Can someone please assist me with the following questions? I have not slept in the past two days.  Two days ago I went to a tattoo parlour to get a tattoo, I slightly remember seeing him open a disposable needle but after that I did not see anything else that was done to set up the instrument.  I know this was silly of me but it was only after I finished my tattoo that I became nervous about health risks.  

Therefore, my questions are 1) Is there any risk of contracting HIV by getting a tattoo? 2) Can the HIV virus survive in tattoo ink? 3) Can the virus survive on the needle? 4) Can the virus survive in the needle holding tube? 5) How soon should I take an HIV test?

I really would appreciate responses to this question from Doctors on the medical team as well as anyone else.

Nervous
according to the cdc...there has never been a documented case of someone getting hiv from a tattoo.
Avatar n tn
I understand that there has never been a documented case, but based on the factors that I have outlined, am I at any risk? Do I have anything to worry about?
There was 0 risk here and it's never been known to happen, so why would you worry?

Hi there,

You are not at risk.  No test is needed.

Cheers!
1. No
2. Tattoo ink is not reused on other people and the answer is NO.
3. Tattoo parlors use sterile needles on each customer. So the answer is NO.
4. No
5. You don't need to test you were never at risk.

Don't ask anymore questions on tattooing. If you can't get over it. Don't ever get another tattoo.
Avatar n tn
Ok...I appreciate all of your responses.  Dr. HHH, I would be grateful for a reply from you as well, just to confirm what the others have said.
pay your 15.00 and post it on the ask a doctor forum