HIV Prevention Community
Fear is taking over my life. What´s my risk of getting HIV?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hello, I´m new here and I´m hoping to get an answer from a professional. Fear of HIV has been taking over my life these past 4 weeks.

I went to a strip club exactly 4 weeks ago. I paid for a ¨15 minute session¨ with a sexual worker. When we got to the bedroom, she proceeded to take her clothes off. I licked her upper body, and sucked her breasts. She told me not to suck them too hard because milk will come out since she has a 2 years old baby. After that she removed her underwear and I did the same. I stood up and hugged her from behind, touching her vagina with my right hand. I didn´t have any cuts or anything like that. Vagina was kind of wet, but I believe it was because of the lubricant she put on. She was also rubbing my dick with her hand (I didn´t ejaculate). I continued touching and kissing her body until she laid down on the bed. She opened her legs and I proceeded to lick the area around the vagina while rubbing her nipples. She didn´t allow me to perform oral sex on her because she didn´t want to get an infection or something. Finally (in the last 2 minutes of this session), she took a condom out and put it on me (I´m not circumsised I should note). The vaginal sex was quick, so I came inside of her after a couple seconds (it must have lasted a minute or so). She stood up, removed the condom, and cleaned my penis with a napkin. She also sprayed alcohol, which I used to clean my hands (can´t recall if I also put it on my penis). It´s important to note that (as far as I remember), I didn´t feel any kind of vaginal fluid on top of me, probably because she didn´t have time to have an orgasm since the intercourse lasted only about a minute. I also have to say that the top of my penis was protected with the condom all the time. However, since I´m an amateur about sex, I´m not a 100% sure if I used the condom right. What I can say is that it didn´t fall and it didn´t break.

Based on all the details that I´ve provided, what are the chances that I may have been infected with a STD, or even worse, HIV? I should say that the sexual worker (nice young lady who seemed to care about herself and the client), told me that she had a HIV test a couple days ago and was negative. Also, according to her, the sexual workers who work at that strip club are not given a ¨card¨ that allows them to work there if they don´t pass those std tests. I want to believe her, but like everything in life, I still have some doubts.

Now, after one day of that encounter, I freaked out when I saw a little ¨ball¨ close to my knee (it looked like a big bruise). It hurted a little bit, but thankfully, it disappeared after 3 days. I was reading on the Interned about things like this, and supossedly, they appear when you are infected with something, whick scared the hell out of me (swollen lymph nodes I believe they are called). 2 days after the exposure, anxiety took over me and I couldn´t sleep at night because I started to feel these ¨vibrating¨ sensation of the muscles all over my body. I envisioned the HIV virus consuming me from inside. After a couple of days, my arms started to feel a little bit more tired than usual, so that´s other of my concerns. My legs were also becoming numb a couple times, and I got this weird sensation of vibrating muscles. Currently (4 weeks after the sex took place) I have an annoying feeling in my arms and legs that comes back after a while pretty much every day. In short, every pain I´m feeling right now I´m associating to a possible infection of HIV, specially after reading some of the symptoms you get and stuff (I know that symptoms don´t mean much, but still, I haven´t experienced these symptoms so frequently before the sexual encounter) I also should said that, besides the minor pain on my arms and legs, I haven´t got any other symptom (no fever, no rash, no night sweats, no sore throat) but I noticed that my tongue was a little pale. That may have something to do more with oral hygiene though.
.
Please doctors, help me to calm my fears by explaining (detailedly if possible) what are my chances of not being infected, but just freaked out. Also, if my case is not that worrisome, what would you recommend me to do in order to be my ¨old me¨, meaning without all those muscular pains and fears of HIV.  I´m 19 years old, and I don´t want to live with these fears for the rest of my life. Thank you so much, the help you are providing to all these people is magnificent.
well...i am pretty much sure that you are not infected with HIV.  It's the stress you have that will kill you.  I, myself, was in the same situation as you, except i had sex with a sex worker that had her menstruation and was DRUNK!! So, being the fact that your situation is a lot less serious than mine and the worker you were with cared about her own health so much, means that you are in good condition.  

I think sex workers are safer than say for example "girls you meet at a bar" because sex workers will not allow guys to have sex with them without condoms, which means that they are very very very safe.  sometimes girls from bars just do it without condoms...you get my point right???

Listen buddy, ur good to go...see what happens to your body after you release all of that stress from your body...things will be fine!!!

Cheers
NO RISK = NO HIV

You had no risk.  You used protection.  You didn't go for three hours where the condom would tear up.  

If the anxiety is too bad, simply get tested at three months for your own ease of mind.  I am sure though that the experts on here will indicate that no testing is warranted simply because there was no actual risk.
At no time were you at risk of contracting HIV.
Thanks for the comments guys, they really helped. Just one more thing:

Like I said, I'm afraid that I may have used the condom improperly. I'm also concerned that the condom was of poor quality or it wasn't made of latex.

Like I mentioned in the post, the top of the penis was covered. Is there something that I could have done that possibly made the condom fail? Remember, it didn't break nor slip.

Finally, what would you recommend me to do in order to relieve this anxiety (I'm definitely getting tested after window period)? I want to be back to the old me, and before this incident, I was feeling better than ever.

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback.
Had the condom failed you would have known.