HIV Prevention Community
Fingernail Fungus and HIV

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Fingernail Fungus and HIV

I am really worried, because since a week or two I have noticed a black spot underneath my fingernail.
I have read online that a black spot, or what apepars to be black fingernail fungus is the most advanced stage of this fungus.

please look at this picture -   http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/razaky20/?action=view&current=058.jpg

I don't know what could have caused this but I am extremely worried because some websites have said HIV causes fingernail fungus and black fungus is most advanced.

I had risky exposure (unprotected vaginal) and am not sure if this is causing it or what. Please help.
You cannot diagnose HIV based on symptoms, only by testing
yes i will get tested at 4 week mark....

just really worried since websites have said black fungus is most advanced stage and HIV can cause this....
Symptoms mean nothing, especially symptoms that can be caused by many reasons that are far more likely to be than HIV. You had a risk and you should be tested. You can take a DUO test. It will give you a reliable result at that time. But if i were you, i wouldn't worry too much.

I hope this was helpful.
Cheers
thank you for those kind words
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain a conclusive test result.
ok thank you

from your experience and knowledge, is black fingernail fungus a cause for concern?

is it related to HIV? because websites online have said it is the most advanced stage of fungal infection and is known to be associated with HIV
It can be a symptom to some other underlying cause but not HIV. .