HIV Prevention Community
Geylang sex with prostitute

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Geylang sex with prostitute

hello,

i had sex with a prostitute in a legal brothel in geylang (singapore) exactly 3 weeks ago.  we used a condom that was provided by the girl - i didn't think to check it for latex vs lambskin, expiration date, etc, but it was used properly and didn't break.  literally i was inside of her for about 20 seconds, if that.  two weeks and 2 days later (ie last wednesday), i came down with the flu, which i very rarely get.  it's the middle of the flu season here in my country (england).  but i've also already had a flu jab.  i had a 101.5 fever for a couple of hours - when i took ibuprofin the fever came down and did not come back - and have had a mild sore throat, a cough and a stuffy nose that have lasted in some form or another through today (monday morning).  the sore throat is extremely mild but i cough a lot and am blowing my nose a lot.

i guess my question has multiple parts: 1) do you know how safe these circumstances were (i.e. are the condoms they use there generally considered legitimately safe, or should i just assume that i did not use protection at all)?  2) how reflective are my symptoms of exposure to HIV vs the flu (i.e. the fever was non-recurring, the sore throat was mild, etc)?  3) is it necessary to wait 3 months to get tested?

i appreciate your help.
CSWs use condoms to protect themselves from YOU. These people are at far greater risk from catching something from you, than you are from them. It doesn't matter what king of condom you used during the intercourse as long as it wont break. In short, if you see the head of your penis is covered after the intercourse then you have no risk. The condom which is intact is 100% biologically effective in preventing you to be infected with HIV. You had no risk so whatever symptoms you had were not HIV related. You had no risk and no need for any HIV tests.

not all condoms protect from disease.
Latex, Polyurethane or Polyisoprene Condoms do.
teak - yep, that much i know....  i guess what i am curious about are the three questions i mentioned above:

1) do you know how safe these circumstances were (i.e. are the condoms they use there generally considered legitimately safe, or should i just assume that i did not use protection at all)?  2) how reflective are my symptoms of exposure to HIV vs the flu (i.e. the fever was non-recurring, the sore throat was mild, etc)?  3) is it necessary to wait 3 months to get tested?

any thoughts/help is very much appreciated.
CSW are out to protect themselves from you and they are not going to use any condoms that will put themselves at risk. You did not have a risk and do not need testing for HIV.