HIV Prevention Community
HIV + Oral Sex, Not Your Normal Question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Ok, so here I am a little over a year after I had an incident (March 2010) that I was told I had NO RISK of contracting HIV and that a test on my part was not required.  The incident in question goes as follows: I posted an ad on Craigslist cause I was bi-curious about performing oral sex on another man.  A man responded and I called him up and after talking to him I decided to go to his house.  He performed oral sex on me for a few mins and then I decided to try it out on him.  At the time I performed oral on him, my mouth was VERY dry due the fact that I was high on cocaine that night.  This was the last time I ever did coke because I felt it contributed to my reckless behavior that night.  Also, I am missing a few molars and have one tooth that is missing half of the tooth.  This leaves several spots in my mouth that are not normally open points of entry for other people performing oral sex.  I only had his penis in my mouth briefly.  About 2 mins, possibly less because I found out this wasn't something I was in to.  There was no ejaculation, but probably some precum since I was playing with his penis prior to placing it in my mouth.  After I stopped, he finished me off and I (stupidly, at his request) ejaculated in his mouth.  I smoked a cigarette with him then left.  I was spitting (what I could since my mouth was so dry) the whole way to my car and when I got to my car I rinsed my mouth out w/water and spit that out (which looking back at now I think was dumb cause I could have swished an infection into my open gum spots).  Then when I got home I rinsed my mouth with Listerine as well as (showing how regretful I was at what I just did) poured it over my genitals to disinfect them.  Anyway, now on to what took place after this encounter.  I was worried.  He told me in an e-mail not to be worried and that he was clean.  I wasn't convinced and sent him a follow-up e-mail expressing my concerns.  He didn't respond.  Then I sent him an e-mail asking why he hadn't responded and he became angry telling me he told me he was clean and I obviously didn't believe him so I should just lose his e-mail address.  This worried me cause I've known people to get angry when they're pressed about something they are lying about.  I have tried to reach him several times over the last year just saying hi and other normal greetings with no response since he told me to stop contacting him.  Which also had worried me off and on over the past year.  Moving on, I came down with a case of epididymitis 4 months later that my doctor told me was from Chlamydia infection and I was treated for that with a 10 day regimen of Doxycycline HCL/Twice daily.  Which the only exposure I would have had to that was from him giving me oral (which that in itself is incredibly rare) I was not tested for STDs due to lack of money and insurance.  I also did not test for HIV because everyone here assured me I was just worrying for no reason.  So I chalked up my muscle and joint pain at that time up to Chlamydia and figured I was fine, although my swollen glands in my neck that would cause me pain from time to time still persisted.  I thought they would go away eventually but they didn't, still swollen as I type this post.  In October, I had a week where I had terrible stomach pains and nausea to the point where I could barely eat a thing the entire week.  After that subsided, I started to have back pain and a stiff neck on an increasing basis with joint pain returning in my knees and then elbows with increasing severity that is still present today.  I also have pain in all other joints to a lesser extent here and there.  Also, I had a very bad chest cold once in late October and then again a few weeks into November.  These were characterized by very sore throat, lots of coughing, heavy amounts of mucous, and an overall feeling of not being well.  I started to get very bad chest pains in the area of my heart in mid December that I also felt in my left arm which led me to take a trip to the ER.  They did an EKG that came back normal, a chest x-ray that came back normal and then sent me home with a prescription for an inhaler.  I have recently had these same chest pains a couple weeks ago, as well.  I started getting single random inflammed red bumps on my face or chest.  These would pop up very randomly, become very itchy, and then be gone within a half hour.  I would say I got one of these bumps once every 1 to 2 weeks.  Always on my face or chest.  The stiff neck that I was having progressed into a sensation in the back of my head that felt like something was eating at the back of my brain causing soreness in the back of my head and also daily headaches.  This started about 3 weeks ago which led me to believe all these symptoms were related to syphilis.  So I shelled out $100 and got tested for syphilis.  Which came back negative.  Now my current symptoms: I feel like crap everyday.  The brain soreness and headaches are still present on a constant basis.  I also have a  white tongue and have gum inflammation under my 2 bottom front teeth which has been there for a couple weeks now.  I came down with a flu like illness with a bad fever 2 weekends ago and have had a mild fever for 2 consecutive days during this past week after already recovering from the weekend prior.  All these symptoms were present before I read about symptoms of Early Symptomatic HIV infection so I know I have a legit point and my anxiety isn't making up these symptoms.  After some internet searching it seems HIV is the only thing consistent with all my symptoms.  Oral thrush, Gingivitis, Itchy Red Bump Disease, malaise, and the one that really seems most likely, HIV encephalopathy, which is the only explanation I can find for a gradual onset of brain inflammation that persists.  My mind is feeling foggier by the day and I have had numbness in my hands and feet, muscle spasms in my arms, legs, butt, and back.  Even painful nerve sensations in my neck and arms that happen randomly.  I haven't taken that great of care of myself over the last year.  Probably my year of least exercise over my entire life.  Definitely did my share of drinking and also my share of painkillers and pot over the past year, just having fun with my friends.  As well as a poor diet consisting mostly of pizza and sugary drinks.  I only recently started taking vitamins and am concerned because I read that alcohol and vitamin defecincies can contribute heavily to quick progression of HIV disease.  I am also worried cause I have read about a handful of people who have contracted HIV thru performing oral sex on a man after having recent dental work or poor oral hygiene.  I never developed ARS symptoms in the time that they would have normally developed.  I have had swollen and painful lymph nodes in my neck for about the last 9 months, I have also had considerable joint pain and muscle aches over the past few months that persist.  I am going to enjoy tonite with the people I love and then I am going to the hospital in the morning.  I am currently 99% percent sure I will be diagnosed HIV+ and possibly even given an AIDS diagnosis.  I will be checking back to see your thoughts on this matter before I go to the hospital tomorrow but I will not post again until I find out what is wrong with me.  If I have to stay at the hospital I will try to update you guys from my phone if possible.  Please don't brush me off either.  I am very worried and everything I have written is 100% percent true.  I would not waste your time and I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.  Thank you.
So you think that after 9 months you would have AIDS? Not possible.
Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. You know what symptoms you do have if you have ARS...a fever and maybe other but you get a high fever and not after months.
The simple answer to your "symptoms" is probably because you've been abusing your body and also anxiety.

If this was your only risk factor, you are HIV Negative.  Don't believe us?  Get tested just to ease your mind.  You didn't get HIV from this exposure.

You also need to quit searching the web.  You've self diagnosed yourself with encephalopathy?  Really?  You're reading too much and 99% of your symptoms are things you've diagnosed yourself, which is not reliable anyway.