HIV Prevention Community
HIV-2 transmission in US? Teak?...others?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I know HIV 2 is rare in the U.S. but Has there ever been a transmission of HIV-2 that actually happened in the United States?  
  • whats hiv 2 (2 replies):
    my dr also ran hiv 2 test why thats when my eia / wb wa...[more]
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY!! (13 replies):
    It's all about GRANTS that's why this has been hyped for...[more]
  • Test results (18 replies):
    My results are due Monday and I really don't want to go ...[more]
  • West Africa (7 replies):
    I have recently moved to West Africa. I believe I may ha...[more]
  • HIV 2 (5 replies):
    Hey Doc, Thank you for this informative Forum. I am a m...[more]
The first case of HIV-2 infection in the United States was diagnosed in 1987. Since then, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has worked with state and local health departments to collect demographic, clinical, and laboratory data on persons with HIV-2 infection.

Of the 79 infected persons, 66 are black and 51 are male. Fifty-two were born in West Africa, 1 in Kenya, 7 in the United States, 2 in India, and 2 in Europe. The region of origin was not known for 15 of the persons, although 4 of them had a malaria-antibody profile consistent with residence in West Africa. AIDS-defining conditions have developed in 17, and 8 have died.

These case counts represent minimal estimates because completeness of reporting has not been assessed. Although AIDS is reported uniformly nationwide, the reporting of HIV infection, including HIV-2 infection, differs from state to state according to state policy.

Who should be tested for HIV-2?

Because epidemiologic data indicate that the prevalence of HIV-2 in the United States is very low, CDC does not recommend routine HIV-2 testing at U.S. HIV counseling and test sites or in settings other than blood centers. However, when HIV testing is to be performed, tests for antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2 should be obtained if demographic or behavioral information suggests that HIV-2 infection might be present.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/hiv2.htm
Revision: March 8, 2007