HIV Prevention Community
HIV-DNA-PCR test in Europe- Q from new healthcare worker

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I have a rather strange question. Im a young male in early 20s in Europe and I just got appointed in the medical field. I was required to take a HIV-DNA-PCR test and it came negative (it is considered a std test in many countries inEurope)

After the blood was drawn I was filled with anxiety and had several doubts.

A. After a dental procedure, with a gaping hole in my mouth, I had given cunnilingus to a girl I just met. This was about 6 months back.

B. Strangely (and stupidly) enough, almost the exact same events- small dental procedure-a few weeks later a cunnilingus with a young female (stranger) happened 2 weeks before my blood was drawn for the HIV-DNA-PCR.

No other form of contact for both A,B and absolutely no other exposures.

My simple question is does the recent negative response to HIV-DNA-PCR nullify both A and B which were 6 months back and 2 weeks back respectively?

Really appreciate your help!
You never had an exposure.
Thank you  very much Teak!! And thank you medhelp!!

In general, do you know if HIV-DNA-PCR test catch not just recent HIV-infections but also untreated HIV-infections from 6 months back (or earlier) as well?

Thank you!!!
PCR-DNA test are not approved for diagnostic use for HIV.
Thank you Teak. I read about your previous posts about the same. But where I reside in Europe, HIV-DNA-PCR is a standard test for new healthcare workers and it is repeated every year or so.

Not sure why, if it is not approved.

Im hoping if someone has had an untreated infection 6mos/year back or a recent infection in 2 weeks, both would be detectable by HIV-DNA-PCR test.
Neither the Abbott RealTime nor the Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HIV-1 assay is intended to be used as a donor screening test for HIV-1 or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
Richard Klein
HIV/AIDS Program Director
Office of Special Health Issues
Food and Drug Administration
Thank you Teak. I understand and I agree.

I'm still baffled by the difference in thinking between USA and other (developed) countries in this regard.

So is dna-pcr useless? Because it only gives Y/N and not the viral load.
And my