HIV Prevention Community
HIV/HSV and Onset of ARS

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV/HSV and Onset of ARS

All experts, please help me. Teak I would love your insight on this.....
My main fear is that exactly 3 weeks post exposure my ARS symptoms have started, coupled with a Positive IgM for Herpes. Here is my quick story:

Exactly 3 weeks ago now, I made the biggest mistake of my life.  My girlfriend and I had broken up weeks earlier after about 4 years.  I went out on this night, drank way to much to the point of blacking out, and woke up next to a much older black woman in my bed. My 1st one night stand, and definitely my last. I'm a 25 year old white male and this partner was around a 40 year old black female who may or may not have been a street worker.

Scariest Problems:
1.) I don't remember any of the sex act.  The before, the during, or the after.  
2.) From what I can tell I met her on the streets that night after drinking downtown.
3.) When I called her a week later asking her if she would get tested for HIV she said no way.

HERPES
4.) I had an expensive blood testing done for all STDs last week. I have always been clean. I'm still waiting for my Chlamydia and Ghoneria results, which I will have tomorrow. I knew I had never had any STDS, so my IgG for Herpes was negative. But my IgM for Herpes was Positive! Meaning, I was exposed to Herpes during this encounter, meaning, my chances of HIV are higher, and meaning, I wasn't safe. :(

ARS/GEOGRAPHIC TONGUE
5.) ARS SYMPTOMS are now kicking in. Last week I noticed a crack in my tongue, right down the middle. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that I went to the Dentist today and he diagnosed it as Geographic Tongue. I've also been coming down with something during this time, not feeling good at all, with especially swollen lymph nodes. My tongue is coated with whiteness and has a major, deep, crack down the middle like a it is a river.
Lastly:
I found a used condom next to my bed when I woke up, but there was no *** inside of it. I'm assuming I didn't use it the whole time, or something happened, I have no idea.

Couple all of these horrible factors: Onset of ARS exactly during the time frame; Geographic Tongue diagnosed by a Dentist; Much older Woman who may have been a street worker, who upon calling her refused to get tested or truthfully reveal her status; and the positive early detection of Herpes......

I don't think I can last 3 months to know if I have HIV. It has effected every aspect of my life to the point that I can't sleep or do my job. I also met a very amazing girl during this time and I have refrained from pursuing it because I'm afraid that I may have it and that I may ruin her life as well.

Please Help,
I'm convinced I contracted HIV from this encounter and now I don't know what to do.
There appear to be so many unknown facts here.Were you really that tanked that you had no idea whether you had sex or not.It,s hard to make an assessment when we don,t know what happened.
Yes I was that drunk.  I've never regretted anything more in my life. I know for a fact that I had sex with this woman.  Like I said, there was a used condom on the floor. And, I remember regaining consciousness during part of the act, through I don't know if I had a condom on or not.

Couple that with my onset of ARS and the Positive IgM for Herpes. And I'm completely freaking out. I just looked at my geographic tongue, and I feel doomed.

Please help...this is classic ARS. Plus the positive IGM. When should I test? I know it will be positive. I really like this girl I've been seeing, but I can't be sexually active for 3 months?
Can u please provide me with some insight about my ARS, Tongue, IgM, and likely positive test in a few weeks.
You need cal down and thin rationally. I understand that you don't remember any thing and for a fair assessment's perspective, I will assume it was an unprotected act. However, do not forget that CSWs are very informed and are also concerned about their health, they mostly insist on protection. So that is a plus.

You need to get tested at the 4th week with an HIV Duo test, if you have the access to it. A negative then would be encouraging. Or simply test at the 6th week with a regular antibody test, a negative would be very indicative and it changing ahead would be very unlikely.

Just back your early negative with a final one at the 12th week for a conclusive.I would suggest you to think rationally, sit dow, focus and recall the incidence to figure if you were protected during the intercourse.

I understand that you might get anxious and concerned, please seek counseling meanwhile. Therapy and meds will relieve to a good extend.
*Calm, think
What about my ARS symptoms? My tongue?? The positive IgM? Can anyone give me insight or knowledge on this. I'm so scared. The ARS symptoms make it even harder
Symptoms don't mean a thing, I have seen numerous posters here on the forum in the last 4 years complaining about all the symptoms the book reads however faring a negative at the 12th week.

Guessing is not the right way, you need to test to know.
But this is trademark ARS. Exactly 2 weeks post and I get Geo Tongue which is still present today, 3 weeks later. Meaning my ARS symptoms hit the right time and are lasting the given time. Coupled with the IGM,.what do people know about that. I'm horrified and basically assuming I have it. Which is ruining my chances with the girl of my dreams, having to wait 3 months to know
No it actually isn't. Fever and rash are the most prominent symptoms. Anxiety can cause white tongue as well, in fact it's a strong anxiety symptom. Take a test at the 6 weeks, it will give you a great indication. Back that up with a final one at 12 weeks. 6 weeks negative will not change ahead.
But why all of a sudden would I develop these ARS symptoms exactly 3 weeks post exposure!? I've never had a problem with my tongue, and this is coming from someone who used to look at his tongue a lot due to my OCD
If you really can,t remember the events of that night then just take the test and be done with it.Stop searching for symptoms as they don,t diagnose Hiv,only testing at the right time does.Mike has already suggested when you need to test.All the best.
I have heard that symptoms mean nothing, but that is hard to accept as one's body is undergoing scary changes. I know I need to test. I know I had a risk. Im full of regret and fear. I just was looking for insight into Geographic tongue and the HSV IgM. I'm looking for advice about what to do with this dream girl I've been hanging out with. Put my life on hold for 3 months until I know for certain!? I don't want to put her at risk. I'm just so scared and anxious and I know this is the place to come to seek advice, knowledge, truth, and insight. Let's say I am positive. If I'm safe, there is no way I'd be putting her at risk? Let's say this is ARS, then I can't even take that chance. I don't know what to do
If you feel that way then you are being very responsible but you can still have a relationship with this girl,just wait until you receive your conclusive results at 3 months or if the relationship is at the stage where sex might be a reality then use protection.Ok,about ARS symptoms,they appear 2 to 4 weeks after infection and last between 4 days and 2 weeks.Some people who become infected won,t get them at all.The 3 main classic ARS symptoms are very sore throat,very high fever and rash on trunk--torso and limbs.
But, no doubt, this tongue stuff is a sign of ARS?
No it,s not.I just mention the main 3 and Geographic tongue is not one of them.
BUT ISN'T GEO TONGUE AND THRUSH a sign of early HIV and ARS?? I forgot to mention my extremely swollen lymph nodes. Also, does anyone have info regarding my positive HSV IgM, which I believe must show a direct correlation to an increased risk of HIV Right? If I got that then that would prove it was unprotected and my chances of HIV r greater. aren't there various studies that prove this? Please this anxiety is destroying me
Last few questions here.

1.) Isn't my Geographic tongue which is looking more and more like Thrush everyday a classic symptom of ARS -- I know it isn't a top 3 -- but I know it is a classic symptom. So I'm extremely scared.
2.) Isn't the early detection test of Herpes on the IgM Antibody test scaring and troubling, likely increasing my chances of having acquired HIV?
3.) Along with the Geographic Tongue (diagnosed by a Dentist, although I think it is something else...huge crack down the middle and swollen taste buds), I have extremely swollen lymph nodes.

Please, more knowledge would be nice.
Please don,t go by symptoms,they mean nothing.Seeing as your so stressed and anxious about the whole situation i suggest you take the DUO test at 4 weeks which is highly accurate and will provide you with an excellent indication as to your status.Testing is the ONLY way to establish whether Hiv infection has taken place or not.
I'M TOO SCARED TO TEST :( what is the Duo test? I know it will be positive
The DUO test looks for both p24antigen and antibodies.You have to test or your situation will get worse.A negative result will help to settle your nerves.
"I know it will be positive"

And if it's not you will quit posting on the forum about your anxiety and ordeal and just start supporting, deal?