HIV Prevention Community
HIV Onset Symptom, Swollen Salivary Glands / Sore Cheeks

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi There,

Just a quick question for those of you who have gone through ARS or know a lot about it.

I find mixed reports online reporting that swollen salivary glands / sore cheeks are frequently an early indicator of HIV infection?

Did any of you experience this as part of your HIV onset?
I haven't gone through any of ARS symptoms but I have some knowledge that swollen salivary glands and sore cheeks are not HIV symptoms.....they are most likely dehydration or bacterial infection. I would say dehydration.
HIV has no specific symptoms and HIV is never diagnosed by symptoms. If you have had an exposure you can obtain your conclusive negative test result 3 months post exposure.
Hi Teak,

I understand, I'm just trying to understand whether others have experienced the sore cheeks / swollen salivary glands as part of their HIV onset / infection.

Have you ever experienced that?
I didn't experience any symptoms what so ever.
Interesting.   May I ask what it's been like living with HIV?  Have the antivirals made it very manageable?  Are you able to have a family?

I don't mean to introduce to any extent -- only trying to understand.
It's not been a walk in the park. Anitvirals let you survive that's about it. You will never feel like you did when you were negative.
Sorry to hear that Teak.

I'm very worried myself and waiting (anxiously) for the 3 month mark.  Is it literally definite @ 12 weeks, meaning if I go in 12 weeks + 1 day to get the test, I can rest assured that whatever result I receive will be conclusive?
You never had an exposure HIV is not transmitted by oral sex.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child
I understand this.  The issue is that I'm not positive that there wasn't a brief, unprotected insertion.   I fear that may have happened, which may or may not explain the recent health issues I've had.

Thanks again for all your information, and I totally understand that my risk is negligible.