HIV Prevention Community
HIV Paranoia

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV Paranoia

I think I am becoming very paranoid about HIV. I have been tested this year, but even after I received my negative results I still do not believe it. Also, I have been dating for the last couple of months and the thought of being in risk of infection haunts me. I have several questions regarding possible HIV infection, and I would like to just see if I should get tested again (even though it's a hard process for me)

Case #1: I met someone who is HIV+. He was honest about his situation since the beginning and before anything happened between us. However, the only thing that happened was kissing (no french kissing). At the moment I did not have any cuts in my mouth and I believe neither did he. Could there be a chance of infection?

Case # 2: I went on a date with someone, but this time intercourse occurred. We had sex; however, he used protection the entire time (for oral and anal and touching). My question would be.... If he came on me ( he came close to my groin, where I had shaved 6 hours prior to our encounter, and where there were little bumps, but now form the recent shaving... there were bumps from weeks before. Also, I did not notice any cuts when I shaved that morning. Should I worry about a possible infection? - We discussed his status before we decided to have sex. He assured me that he had been tested months before (the result was negative) and he always uses protection.

Case # 3: I messed around with someone. This person and I decided to mess around. There was no intercourse involved, no exchange of fluids. Only kissing and touching. However, he sucked my penis for a very short period of time- not even for a minute- Am I still in risk?

I ask all this because I am very worried. I have been trying to date and have something stable, but it seems that I cannot trust people. Once something happens I freak out and decide that I cannot manage to have a relationship because I might be at risk. Now I do not even want to date or kiss someone. My fear gets to the point that whenever I get sick the first thing that comes to my mind is HIV. I want to overcome this fear to be able to live in peace and help those who have been in my situation, or those who know very little about the virus.

Lately I have been tired, and I've had a lot of burping and little nausea. Could this be stress? Would you recommend me to take another HIV test? Have I been exposed?
no no and no
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers