HIV Prevention Community
HIV Risk: Swollen salivary glands and lymph nodes in neck and armpits

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Dear Clinician(s)

Please help. Sorry the text is long but please try to read to the end.

I am a male from the UK. I had contact with a female SW in Thailand 8 weeks ago, whilst on holiday.
She said she was a beautician but i know she supplemented her income by sex work, as i asked some locals.
The symptoms i got after contact with her turned my world upside down.
I was sure i had HIV until i read your postings in HIV Prevention Comm. I now have some hope once again...but am not sure...

Before my holiday, i was clean of all STDs including HIV (tested in the UK).

Over the 3 days she stayed with me, we had protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex 2 to 3 times a day.
All intercourse was protected and the condoms were intact. Of this i'm absolutely sure.
However, during oral sex, i inserted my tongue several times into her vagina, once for 5-6 mins till she orgasmed.
Sorry to be so graphic but I want to be clear on the nature of contact.

I had a sore throat for 2 weeks prior to contact and what turned out to be a chest infection.

19/06/2011 - First Contact - protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex.

20/06 - Protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex.
We went to the doctor to see to my chest. Glands under my jaw line were a little swollen.
Doc diagnosed possible bronchitis. Prescribed antibiotic (Gentamycin intra-muscular), anithistamines and anti-inflamatories for the next 4 days.
The swelling of my glands subsided after one day. Apart from feeling feverish on one day, i felt much better.

21/06 - Protected intercourse and unprotected oral sex.

25/06 - (day 7 after contact), i developed massive bilateral swelling of my salivary glands, sub-mandibular glands (under my jaw line) and glands under my chin - giving me 'chipmunk cheeks'. Possible fever this night, bed sweats.

26/06 - An ENT doctor thought i may have mumps, but i've had the MMR vaccination. I was too embarrassed to tell him about my contact with the SW. I was given more antibiotics, anti-histamines, and anti-inflamatories.
No fever was measurable in the hospital.

27/06 - Fatigue for the next 6 days.

30/06 - My 'chipmunk cheeks' had subsided (slowly), leaving just the sub-mandibular glands swollen and tender.

04/07 - As well as swelling and tenderness of sub-mandibular glands, i developed stiffness of neck, 'neck sweats' around my sub-mandibular glands, fatigue & malaise.

11/07-  Pea sized swelling of glands under both armpits, sweaty, painful & stinging for 2-3 days.
Swelling and tenderness of sub-mandibular glands, stiffness of neck, 'neck sweats', and fatigue remained.

[I was suffering from severe anxiety at this point].

18/07 - Swelling and tenderness of sub-mandibular glands, stiffness of the neck and 'neck sweats'.
Swelling of glands under both armpits every 2 -3 days, painful & stinging.

07/08 to PRESENT: Swelling of sub-mandibular glands has receded after 6 long weeks....
Sore, inflammed throat & post nasal drip have remained.
Stiffness of the neck (or glands in the neck ?) and swelling of glands under both armpits (every 3-4 days or so) have remained.

Exactly 2 weeks after contact, my parents who are both doctors came to see me on holiday.
I told them about my 'mumps-like' symptoms but again i was too embarrassed to tell them about the SW.
My father got a WBC differential count done. All types including eosinophils and monocytes were normal except lymphocytes, which were high, indicating a viral infection. My heart dropped when he said this.

I will be getting tested for all STDs incl. HIV on week 10 in Thailand and will get tested after 3 months in the UK (if negative).

What i'd like to know is :
1) Would the fact that i gave her oral sex for a prolonged period in the manner that i did, while taking antihistamines
(which decreased my levels of saliva and gave me the typical 'dry mouth') have increased my risk/ given me an exposure ? Have you heard of similar cases before ?

2) What are my chances of being tested negative next week ?

Teak, Lizzie Lou, or other clinicians, please give me your honest opinions.

Thank you for your help and time.
To begin with you can stop worrying about hiv because you never had a risk of contracting it,however other more common STD,s are possible.Test for those.You may have picked up that viral infection in your travels.The bottom line is test for the commonSTD,s and expect a negative result for the hiv test because you were never at risk for hiv.Wait for your STD results and then take it from there.Symptoms mean nothing,test results are really all that count.All the best.
regarding your symptoms...

when someone experiences ars symptoms...they come at 2-4 weeks post infection and last for 1-2 weeks.  these symptoms come at once...not one after another.  they dont come and go.  swollen lymph nodes due to ars are not painful and do not sting.

your symptoms are not indicative of ars.

regarding your risk...

FROM THE HIV EXPERTS HERE AT MEDHELP:

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort).  DR. HOOK

"With regard to the question you ask, I will repeat, as I’ve said more times than I can think- there are NO credible cases in which persons have acquired HIV through performance of oral sex- none!!.  The chance that you will be the first is ridiculously low.  You are more likely to be hit by lightening while reading my reply to you. DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." DR HOOK

"There is no credible evidence that HIV is spread through oral sex, with or without the presence of cuts or blood in the persons mouth."- DR HOOK

"Oral sex. there is no evidence that HIV is spread through giving or receiving oral sex"- DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through oral sex."  DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through giving or receiving oral sex"   DR HOOK

It doesn't sound like an infection with HIV. I think it will be negative. The symptoms sound like flu-like symptoms and maybe they can biopsy your lymph nodes if really swollen to test for abnormal cells but when it comes to HIV, don't be concerned. Learn from it and don't repeat it.
Move on. He didn't have an exposure.
Dear Mr getitright77and Teak - thank you for your answers about my exposure. It's a great relief.
Dear Lizzie Lou and Down voices - thank you for your comments on my symptoms.

I can't begin to describe what the service you provide on this site means to people like me and others in similar predicaments.
Dear Mr Getitright77, Lizzie Lou, Teak, Down Voices,

I had my HIV test today (HIV antibody) - 10 weeks after contact. It was negative as all of you suggested. Thank you, thank you for your advice and support on this forum....

You read again and again on this site that practising oral sex is not considered to give an exposure, but your brain somehow convinces you that there is still an outside chance of HIV exposure, especially when you have symptoms such as mine.

To other (worried) readers - take heed of the advice these moderators give you and try and dispel your paranoia. They know what they are talking about....

I'm now getting tested for other STDs as you advised... thanks again...
Plis help me im so scared ok well I just git tested for hiv on the 8 it was negative ok I been having a sore throat for a month and now my salivary glands under tongue are swollen can I b infected with hiv
But I went to get tested cus I thought I had gonorrhea ok well after my test came out it was good but then I had sex and the condom broke I pulled it out asap since I new it broke ok before thesex and blood test I had a sore tthroat I been there since a month now my salivary glands under tongue are swollen no pain or nothing sore throat is still there plis help im scared I got no energy and tomorrow I ll test again plis help plis