HIV Prevention Community
HIV Risk after condom broken /PEP

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV Risk after condom broken /PEP

Dear all,

I tried to convinced myself to no post here as I did not want to fell into much anxiety but it seems I failed to stick to my rule. To make a long story short here is my case:

Ealier october 2010, I visited a CSW in germany, a nice lady from Thailand middle 30' old. Unfortunately the condom did break at the end of the intercourse (vaginal). I noticed that after no more than 20s and did an immediate cleaning, there was no visible blood and I have no visible lesions such as ulcers. Few hours later, exactly 16h I took my first dose of PEP (combivir + viramune) 4 days, then the remaining 24 days of the course, I took only combivir. That day I was also checked to hepatits,  and syphilis with of course hiv; all was clean.
I spoke to the hiv specialist he did tell me, I should be ok, fine... I took the entire course without side effects and till now 16 nov 10 I am feeling very good and did not have any anxiety symptoms at all, fine too..

But, later, I read than thai ladies who have the HIV is with the subtype E which make a significant increase in the contagion from female to male (eg 1 in 30 versus 1 in 1000 in west countries). I mentioned the country origin of the lady to my specialist but he did not feel very worried or maybe we do not have enough reliable data to clearly say there is an increase; I just don't know and now I feel a bit concerned by this fact.
In december I have to do a duo hiv test, 4 weeks post pep/8 weeks post exposure. So far I did 2 rapid urine hiv test (no idea how reliable they are), still negative.
So my question to all who think they can help/advice me, what do you think of that story, should I start to worry because of this subtype E increased infection risk or not?

You may forgive me my english as it is not my first language and I take the opportunity to thank you for the valuable content we can find and all the Experts who invest so much time ! This is for sure a real asset when we are seeking medical advices.
Best,
Harvey  
yes thank you to retrieve my post to Dr HHH, I already read it many times :) but as you maybe have read it I did not speak about that subtype risk, that was my question here if anyone can advice me.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers