HIV Prevention Community
HIV TEST

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIV TEST

How does risk determine the window period for the tests. If the situation is high risk, it is recommended that test be repeated at 3 months and 6 months. How does seroconversion vary based on risk. I asked this to a nurse in health clinic. She said that the reason they recommend repeated tests at 3 and 6 months is to bring the person back in the clinic so that some counselling can be done not because there may be delayed seroconversion, but still recommend 3 month for conclusive resulsts.Any comments?
When I asked my question on doctor's forum, Dr. Cummings said no further testin was required beyond 8 weeks. It is conclusive. I believe Dr. HHH and Dr. Hook have same opinion. Now this 3 month comment from the nurse is again creating anxiety.
it is highly unlikely that a result will change after 8 weeks...but the guideline set by the manufacturers of the tests, the cdc, and the fda...still states that a test is CONCLUSIVE at 3 months post exposure.  (regardless of risk)
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain you conclusive results no matter what the risk was.
in a little while I will post some information for everyone from BCCDC(British Columbia Centre for Disease Control)
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
Hi Teak:

what is high risk
1. unprotected penetrative vaginal / anal sex
2. sharing iv drug works
3. mother to child.......

HIGH RISK EXPOSURES
I read somewhere that Massachusetts considers 6 week antibody(3rd gen. ELISA) as conclusive. is that true?
NO tests are conclusive for HIV before 3 months.
Hello:

Today I had my Rapid Test done at BCCDC, Vancouver( INSTI Rapid Test approved in Canada)
It was done at 12 weeks 3 days (87days).

Is it conclusive now?
Are Rapid Tests as reliable as blood test. The nurse said they are very sensitive (99.98%)

Your input is greatly appreciated.
You are conclusively negative.