HIV Prevention Community
HIV TEST
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HIV TEST

How does risk determine the window period for the tests. If the situation is high risk, it is recommended that test be repeated at 3 months and 6 months. How does seroconversion vary based on risk. I asked this to a nurse in health clinic. She said that the reason they recommend repeated tests at 3 and 6 months is to bring the person back in the clinic so that some counselling can be done not because there may be delayed seroconversion, but still recommend 3 month for conclusive resulsts.Any comments?
When I asked my question on doctor's forum, Dr. Cummings said no further testin was required beyond 8 weeks. It is conclusive. I believe Dr. HHH and Dr. Hook have same opinion. Now this 3 month comment from the nurse is again creating anxiety.
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
it is highly unlikely that a result will change after 8 weeks...but the guideline set by the manufacturers of the tests, the cdc, and the fda...still states that a test is CONCLUSIVE at 3 months post exposure.  (regardless of risk)
Blank
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain you conclusive results no matter what the risk was.
Blank
in a little while I will post some information for everyone from BCCDC(British Columbia Centre for Disease Control)
Blank
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
Blank
Hi Teak:

what is high risk
Blank
1621133_tn?1310049641
1. unprotected penetrative vaginal / anal sex
2. sharing iv drug works
3. mother to child.......

HIGH RISK EXPOSURES
Blank
I read somewhere that Massachusetts considers 6 week antibody(3rd gen. ELISA) as conclusive. is that true?
Blank
1519393_tn?1306805708
NO tests are conclusive for HIV before 3 months.
Blank
Hello:

Today I had my Rapid Test done at BCCDC, Vancouver( INSTI Rapid Test approved in Canada)
It was done at 12 weeks 3 days (87days).

Is it conclusive now?
Are Rapid Tests as reliable as blood test. The nurse said they are very sensitive (99.98%)

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Blank
You are conclusively negative.
Blank
Thanks
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now