HIV Prevention Community
HIV Testing Inquiry

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV Testing Inquiry

Exposure to individual who likely has HIV, as he recently tested positive on Rapid test. Have not had confirmation but I am proceeding with caution. Risk was unprotected oral sex September 7. Also an instance of unprotected insert ice anal sex in either late July or very early August. I did use a condom for the majority of that incident but did not for a brief time at the end. The September 7 incident I practiced both insertive and receptive oral sex, although I only briefly performed oral on him, and no ejaculation.

Tested as follows:

1) Rapid test - 5 weeks post-exposure: nonreactive

2) Standard Elisa and HIV PCR DNA at 7 weeks: nonreactive and negative, respectively.

I am aware HIV DNA is not for diagnosis, but it is helpful according to many experts, so please, just provide me with whatever assistance you can.

What is the likelihood I will turn positive at 12 weeks following these two exposures, and likely, the 5 and 7 weeks tests were close to 12 weeks following the unprotected anal sex where I was only insertive partner. Also, what is the likelihood that the HIV PCR DNA would fail to pick up the virus at 7 or 12 weeks?

Thanks for all your help.
The unprotected anal sex was your only risk, at 7 weeks practically everyone will test positive, you can expect your 12 week test to be negative.
Can anyone provide some insight into the combination of the PCR and antibody test at 7 weeks? I do know the facts related to PCR not being to diagnose infection, but what are your thoughts on my scenario and the likelihood both tests were incorrect at that time?
It's highly unlike that you cacht HIV. The tests have good accuracy but officialy you have to wait 3 months after exposure and then test again just to be sure that you don't have HIV.