HIV Prevention Community
HIV Window Period

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV Window Period

I had an encounter with a person with unknown HIV status. Within almost 2 years after the event I had been tested probably 4-6 times. With the earliest test being 2 months after and the last being a year and a half after. They have all been negative however, I'm worried that I am indeed infected with HIV and that for some reason (Window period, genetic mutation) i'm not posting a positive diagnosis. It has been tearing apart my life and I really don't know what to do. I'm worried if I keep on testing it just wont show up and my CDC count will get lower?
Please Help,
Thank you
You do not have HIV, you are conclusively Negative. Any test done after 3 months of the last exposure is final and conclusive
Hi thanks for your reply, but I've read many places that you should wait till 6 months to get retested? I'm just so scared and I have no clue what to do. I'm worried that maybe I didn't get the best tests done? I've done a test where they give me the result back in a minute after they prick my finger and take some blood. I've done a test where they took a vile of blood and I got the results back 2 weeks later. I'm wondering if any tests are better than most?
Seek a therapist for your anxiety issue. You can't believe conclusive tests then there is not much for us to tell you. "What if" is not reality.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers