HIV Prevention Community
HIV and diarrhea

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV and diarrhea

I had unsafe sex once with a girl who didn't protect herself in several encounters before we met, so i made her get tested for std.s and hiv. She said her results were negative.

A month after our encounter i started having diarrhea, sometimes with stomach ache. The diarrhea was really bad and persisted for more than a month, now it's better but not completely gone. Also, i feel tired all the time. My doctor tested me for hep B and C, but i havent told him about the unsafe sex. I can't recall any fever, even though if it was mild i might have not noticed. I've done a bit of research on early HIV infection and some sources say persistent diarrhea is a symptom. How long does hiv-related diarrhea last? Is it as much as a month or two, daily? I'm somewhat scared and i would appreciate your help.
Tags: HIV, diarrhea, help
symptoms dont diagnose hiv...only a test will accomplish that.

6-8 weeks for a good indication...3 months for a conclusive result.
i know, still my symptoms don't seem to be related to anything... the girl got tested around 3 months and i trust what she told me. I will get tested, but i am panicking right now...
does anyone know if hiv diarrhea lasts for only several days or for many weeks, like in my case?
anxiety can cause diarrhea
I am aware, yet when i started having it i didn't think of HIV or anything serious, but it lasting for so long got me thinking.
It seems like nobody knows how long diarrhea lasts in case of early HIV infection.
Thank you anyways
Because there is no specific time frame. True ARS symptoms can last from 1-2 weeks and happen 2-4 weeks after infection. But there is no time frame that this symptom will last 2 days and then next one 8 days. And most people don't even get symptoms.
thank you Vance, i gather it would be atypical for HIV infection to manifest like this, am getting tested soon
Nothing that you mention in reference to the symptoms you are going through indicates HIV. HIV ARS occurs with a set of symptoms at once and they subside all together once the body adapts to the alien matter temporarily.

It's a great news that your partner fared a negative on her HIV test. However, if you still speculate that she might have been in her window period then, you might want to get tested 3 months post your last sexual encounter with her to be absolutely in the clear.

As told you by the other contributors here, I would like to reiterate; HIV can't be diagnosed with the help of symptoms, symptoms don't mean any thing. In your case specifically, the symptoms were already unspecific to indicate any thing.

Good Luck.
would a combi test performed at 5 mth and 2 weeks in a clinic in romania be absolutely conclusive? no exceptional cases?
Read Lizzie's 1st responce.
yes, i thought i should mention i'm not from the us
No matter