HIV Prevention Community
HIV and lymph nodes in elbows and knees

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIV and lymph nodes in elbows and knees

I'm 34 years old and about 8 weeks ago had an oral sex session (unprotected) with an escort - yes, I know, stupid thing to do! -. I came in her mouth twice. I did not penetrate her however, although during the foreplay my penis may have touched her vagina area.

Since then, life has been a nightmare for me. I'm married and my biggest concern is not passing anything to my wife or her finding out about my big mistake. I feel really bad about what I've done. So I'm trying to have a medical assessment that is as complete as possible.

A couple days after my exposure I started feeling sick, flu-like symptoms and low fever, this lasted for 2-3 days. I also noticed burning in my penis, mostly in the head and urethra, and redness in the head. I went to my doctor and he did Herpes, Gonorrea, Clamydia (chlamydia), Hep A, B, C and HIV tests, all were negative. Of course this was only about a week after exposure so the chances of detecing HIV for instance were not very good. Six weeks after the exposure I went to the doctor again and was tested for the same. All came negative, except that the IGM test for Herpes was positive but the "titer" indicated that it may be a false positive - this is what my doctor told me, he is a specialist in infectious diseases -. The IGG was still negative for both HSV1 and 2. I had to travel abroad for 2 weeks so I haven't had the chance to talk to my doctor about the results in detail, and in the meantime anxiety is killing me, the reason is that I have been feeling swollen lymph nodes in my neck and groin and since yesterday I started feeling pain in my armpits and in the inner side of my knees and elbow joints, which I understand contain lymph nodes. I have also been feeling weak, but haven't been in fever this time. I also have noticed some small blisters in shaft of my penis, they are small and don't hurt and have been unchanged for several days.

Based on the context above, my questions to any of you who might know is:
1) Can lymph nodes in elbow, armits and knees be a result of the possible HSV (not HIV) infection?
2) I have read in different postings in this site that nodes when it's HIV - initial infection - do not hurt, any opinions on this?
3) How can I tell if the pain I have is actually from the lymph nodes? I have checked and there are no aparent bumps in any of the mentioned areas, with the exception of my neck (under my jaw) when I touch it.

Any help will be appreciated, I will see my doctor in 10 days from now, but in the meantime any guidance will be of help. He said he wants to repeat the IGG test and maybe the HIV.

You never had an HIV exposure from oral sex.
u have no risk of hiv...u might have sum viral flu
Thanks Teak and Sadboy7.

Sadboy7, I haven't had any congestion in my nose this time nor any fever, can this still be some sort of flu? can flu explain the pain in arms and legs that may be associated with lymph nodes?

Take care
See your doctor if you are concerned you didn't have a risk of contracting HIV.
Maybe it's just stress and worry over the whole deal.