HIV Prevention Community
HIV exposure and testing

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV exposure and testing

My boyfriend tested hiv positve after we had been together for about 2 weeks, we had been having unprotected sexual intercouse I took my test same time as he did, mine was negative, then I testes again at 4 weeks & half weeks after exposure it still came back negative, at about 5 to 6 weeks after exposure my left ear was sour & had a sour throat lasted a week. been having nightmares that if I go back it will came back positive now, its now 6 months since the exposure I havent had any other symptomps other than a turning stomach it just makes load noise for the pass two days, its not sour & its not diarrhoe..

at 4 weeks after and half weeks after exposure how accurate was my hiv test?

looking foward to response
Thank u..
Tags: negative
Wendy,

I'm sorry to hear that your boy friend tested positive

You were definitely at some risk since you guys had unprotected intercourse but it's not necessary that if your BF has HIV and you had sex with with him you'd mandatorily acquire the virus.

You tested negative at the 4th week, it is definitely encouraging since the average time to seroconvert is 22 days.

Retest at the 8 th week and confirm it with a test at the 12 th week.

Please don't concentrate on the symptom they can be very misleading and most of the time due to stress.

BTW: ARS would always show up within 14 - 28 days after the infection, 6 week's a bit late for ARS to show up.

You'd be in my thoughts

I wish you all the luck

Mike
well its been now 6 mos. why dont you test. if it comes out negative, you are definitively and conclusively negative, 3 mos is cdc standards for hiv testing.
your 4 wks is encouraging, but you really need to test, as you were exposed to hiv.
like mike said, you will not automatically aquire the disease, but its a high risk.  my prayers are with you.
tony
Sorry, I misread a few things there.

It's been 6 months ?

Girl, walk out- go to a laboratory - get your finger pricked and - get a 20 mins rapid test to know it.

Please don't try and guess it, you need to know it.
Sorry to hear about that, did he get a western blot to confirm? I got freaked out yesterday for a stupid blood clod inside my cheek after i bit it while eating and ran into my campus hiv department and got checked out. I asked the hiv specialist there and he told me that he never saw anyone not having ARS since he has been there for 7 yrs, and most case of ARS (the majority) need some type of medical attention, especially fever! and most reported to him after 10-14 days of exposure, which reassures me a bit. He also said that ARS will not likely to occur without fever, fever is always present and he never saw ARS after 4 weeks, not impossible but not to his experience. He could not answer to me why some people dont get ARS but its a minority, and he beleives that most people who experience ARS do not know that it is primary infection and assume that it is just a flu and misdiagnose. He said that most of his patient never heard of ARS either so he believes that people needs to get educate on that, but also symptoms could be others than hiv. anyways if you did not get a flu like symptoms or fever above 100, then the chance that you are negative is quite high, hope this help, get tested at the 3 month mark, I wish you the best.
Its been 6 months now, then you need to get tested and if negative then you are definitely negative, good luck.