HIV Prevention Community
HIV exposure

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV exposure

Hi, after 3 week of possible exposure  (unprotected vaginal sex) with the infected girl, I went to a doctor and blood were drawn and sent to the lab. The test were conducted on HIV P24 antigen which was negative and HIV 1+2 ELISA which was non-reactive. I didn't see any symptoms until 2 days towards the end of week 4, I started to have some fatigue and a loose stool and sometimes a bit of watery (watery stool not more than two days). The diarrhear took seven to nine days and it stoped (it wasn't that bad course I used to go to the toilet 2 or 3 times in a day) I also had a blocked nose but didn't cough, I've also lose some weight by 2  or 3 kg. On week 5 and 2 days some rash apeared on the left arm and it lasted for a day and disappeared. I must mention that I was stressed and also anxious while waiting for my lab results. Could this be a symptoms of HIV or anxiety, stress and pschological effects played a part. How long can a diarrhea coursed by stress and anxiety last, is it normal that it can last for more than three days?
Get your 3 month conclusive test.
Can pls try to answer all my questions
Thanks 4 ur agent response can u pls touch all the points or questions, Please
Please guy where are you. can you pls attend to my question, all of you including Teak
Guys what have  I done? I've posted a question only teak answered by saying "Get your 3 month conclusive test" please I'm pleading CAN YOU PLEASE ATTEND TO MY FIRST POST PLEASE.
your symptoms are NOT indicative of hiv.  hiv cannot be diagnosed by symptoms...only a test can do that.
Why do some expert talk about ARS symptoms, is this things of symptom true or not.
Can talk all they want don't mean a thing. You wouldn't even know if your symptoms were ARS until you test POSITIVE.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I read your comment somewhere in the forum and you were talking about ARS symptoms from 2 to 4 weeks. Are my symptoms not related to those of HIV or is it part of stress and anxiety since I've physically saw the results of a girl friend being positive. Can a diarrhea ( soft stool) caursed by stress, anxiety and psychological effects last for more than 10 days?
Where are you guys, you are so quet, can you please help here and treat this question.
HIV has NO specific symptoms.
You are trying to connect symptoms with an HIV infection...you can't. Some people get symptoms if they do it happens 2-4 weeks after exposure. But you can read post after post here and people who didn't even have a risk claim they have symptoms. So symptoms are often general and brought on due to stress and anxiety.

Test at 3 months since your exposure and then you will have your answer.
By saying "HIV has NO specific symptoms". Are agreeing that there are some symptoms, if yes which ones are the major ones.  
Can a diarrhea ( soft stool) caursed by stress, anxiety and psychological effects last for more than 10 days?
If you want to discuss symptoms go elsewhere. Symptoms won't tell you anything about HIV.
I thought you will say something about my symptoms, to help me ease my anxiety and stress. i didn't mean to bother you.
Read the replies you have been given.
the "symptoms" of early infection are the same symptoms of MANY everyday illnesses.  that is why you cant judge whether or not you have hiv based on symptoms.  also...anxiety can and does cause physical symptoms...ie,  the day that you read about swollen lymph nodes...low and behold you will think yours are swollen.

you have been assessed regarding your exposure and advised when to test.  you have also been told that symptoms do not diagnose hiv, yet you continue to ask questions regarding this.

please read the posting guidelines for this forum...

I read somewhere that when you are injured you are on high risk since protein are all over the body. I just wanna know because On 22 Oct 2009 15 days before the exposure, I had an infection on my thigh and the doc gave me an antibiotics. By the time of exposure it was riped but covered with a badage (elastoplast). Does all this increase my risk, since they say the body will have the proteins.
NO.
Teak I understand your NO, but can you elaborate a bit on how this thing of protein work. Please I need to understand this PLEASE
Where are you guy cun I please here from all of you
Get your 3 month conclusive test.
Hi Mchuvana,

I experience the same as you do..its only i experince the small bumps rash that appear and disappear the day after.It happen 5days after exposurre till now. I was soo worried that I took the 1month test and it was negative.Now I am 9th week post exposure..waiting for my 3month which is on Jan test.
What was your exposure

PLEASE ANSWER my question, the last time I posted these question some of you guys didn't attend to my question can you please guys attend to my post

As the other posters say ,symptoms are not a reliable way to judge hiv infection and can often be caused by anxiety. ARS usually consists of high fever, swollen glands (generally most of your glands). You didnt mention a fever and thats normally present with ARS ,so a good sign. The average time to seroconversion is 21 days and the antigen test is useful at this time ,so far so good but a bit too early for a definitive result. Most people will have a positive result if truly infected by 6-8 weeks if using modern testing methods. Id advise  to get a test at 6 weeks a duo at this time if available is very encouraging ,if negative cofirm 100% at twelve weeks. Keep in mind the odds are in your favour and most experts agree a DUO test is conclusive psat 6 weeks but Id still want to get that confirmed as per the legal guidelines at twelve weeks ,just to be sure. Hope all work out for you  and good luck.
Duo test are NOT conclusive any earlier than any other tests.

Some Sexual Health Clinics in Australia do regard the DUO test as conclusive past 6 weeks ,however our guidelines state 12 weeks as being the time for definitive results therefore Id still want to get that 12 week negative.
DUO tests have NO difference in when a negative test is conclusive. DUO can help with early detection. Big Difference.
I think you are contradicting yourself here, you said" DUO tests have NO difference in when a negative test is conclusive. DUO can help with early detection". Dont you think if it can detect the infection early, in the case of where it says negative don't you think its an advantage, caurse if it didn't detect an infection there is no any. To me you seem to disagree with most of the expect. Most including the manufactures said DUO can detect from two weeks after possible exposure and on your comments you disagree with whatever they say. Do you mean that a DUO test can say negative at three or four weeks and after 3 month positive, why do most of these experts says DUO test is 90% - 95% accurate, what do say about these.
No it is not a contradiction. There is no advantage. No one is given medication for a recent infection. The US did not give an FDA approval for Duo tests just for that reason. Being able to detect earlier does not have anything to do with a conclusive negative test result. Just because someone does not test positive 4-6 post exposure does not guarantee a conclusive negative result.
most of these experts says DUO test is 90% - 95% accurate, what do say about these.
the majority of people test pos by 4-6 or 6-8 weeks, you might not be part of the majority club, thus everyone should always take a 12 wk test. Take a test at 7-8 weeks for a hell of a good sign your good, just do 12 wk test.
I'm from the clinic now I'm still negative on ELISA rapid (six weeks post exposure), I've requested them to draw blood and it was sent to the lab, the results will be back on the 24 December 2009. Do you guys think that this result could still change after six weeks. I've read somewhere that it takes 2 to 6 weeks for the antibody to be produced, is there any chances that this results can change to positive.
Reread the replies that you have been given.
A lot smaller chance now, as most people would have detectable antibodies, but still go ahead with the 12 weeks test, a 6 week neg is a good sign and hopefully you feel better leading up to your final test.
Where are you guys can you treat my post please
a 6 week negative is a good INDICATION of your status and unlikely to change.  WITH THAT BEING SAID...it is "possible" that it can.

not sure what more we can add.  you MADE THE CHOICE to have unprotected sex...you have to wait it out.

test at 3 months.
Thanks for your encouraging words. Did you personaly know any cirtuation where status has changed after 6 weeks. or any stats if known.
Enough is enough. What happen to someone else has nothing to do with you and your status.
Thanks a lot, I think you must try to teach Teak and Lizzie lou some maners, he does help but sometimes he/ she is so rude. We posts beacuse we need help not to be treated like that. You are a helper comforter indeed and thanks a lot.
Have a good day.
I've got my 6 weeks Duo results and its non-reactive