HIV Prevention Community
HIV negative after 5 weeks okay?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV negative after 5 weeks okay?

Hello there,
My situation is as follows.  I was involved in a low risk activity with a somebody that is HIV+  I had given oral on a man with exposure to precum.  Now, I rinsed my mouth out afterwards with water but still freaked out.  This happened a year ago.  I took a test at 4 weeks 6 days post exposure and tested negative.  I live in Canada (Ontario) so I don't know what generation ELISA they use, pretty sure it was a 2nd generation.  Anyhow, I now have been diagnosed with colitis, numerous colds, swollen lymphnodes, yeast infections and a soar throat that I have had for months.  I am soooooooo convinced that I was infected with HIV.  My question is, would my test should detectable antibodies at 5 weeks?  I'm really freaking out here!!!!
The majority of people will have a positive antibody test 5 weeks after the last exposure. You had a very low risk ordeal that I would not stress over. HIV transmission through oral sex is so rare, it's essentialy non-existant. Symptoms never mean infection, only a positive test does. I thought I had swollen nodes and all that and went on to test negative at 3 months, after a high risk possible exposure, in a higher risk country. If you remain worried, have a test at 3 months I would bet money that it will be negative.
Thanks worried..ppl usually would test positive 5 weeks after even on a 2nd generation?  I don't understand the difference??  I'm freaked out that my low risk was still a risk and I am that "lucky" girl that will get infected via oral sex.  sigh....
I kind of doubt that your test was a 2nd generation test, I live in Canada too, Near Vancouver, and in Van they use the most up to date testing, I think that 2nd generation tests are usually pos by 5 weeks as well, but then again highly doubted that it was 2nd generation, Canada is a very developed and wealthy country.
Yours was a very low risk exposure. It has been 5 years since that event. Dr. H says that all sexually active person should get tested once every year. So do have a test ... it will be undoubtbly negative.
Just worried b/c all of these symptoms.  Wonder why they suggest 13 weeks?  That's why I worry about a false negative...so you really think 5 wks would show up?
most likely it would, but still obviously you should retest at 13 weeks.
when would a false negative usually happen then?  I'm freaking out b/c I have all these symptoms:
yeast infections
swollen lymphnodes
weight lose for no reason
constant sore throat
soar joints
colitis

seriously, if this happened a yr ago would I be having all these symptoms already???  PLEASE HELP
Hi. I was with a guy about 6 months ago.  I found out later that he was born with hep B. That freaked me out because he didn't tell me so I went and had an HIV test 5 months after last sleeping with him ( I found out about the Hep 5 months after we had sex) The test came back negative. What are the odds that that test is wrong and that I am now HIV positive.  I talked to him about it and he assured me that he didn't have any diseases and got really offended and mad.  
No chance. 3 months is conclusive.
3 month test is conclusive.
Go Tested if you had unprotected sex with HIV+ person .. better to know your status
caugh .. chestpain ... can be caused by almost anything ,, for example, after my exposure with HIV+ person " unprotected " I started imagining that oh I got caugh that's HIV, wait I have ulcer in my mouth that HIV and .. what is this white spot in my tounge ?? HIV ??

when you keep thinking about these things you body sometimes start developing these things so better to stop questioning yourself

your test is good indication so almost 11 weeks left , stay cool and relax HIV risk with oral is Zero% but knowing your status is good thing for your and also to releave your from questioning !

cheers
Nope, its not almost 11 weeks for the test. Test was done exactly at 06th week, came ngative....
Dam aware... Am not having any other symptom, other than a dry caugh and a chest pain.

Thanks buddy.

Dellon
and NO spots in mouth. but, awareness is everywhere in my body and mind...
Cant help for gone, but sad about ma mistakes.

you are so kind that advicing me.

Thanks again.

Dellon
Dear teak,
Thanks for the advice I got from you. Is 07 weeks test conclusive??? How the percentage that I can take, if it's accuracy?

Thanks in advance,
Dellon

I had unprotected anal sex.(I was the giver) I had negative vein (blood) anti-body tests at 27 days, 62 days, and 86 days. Should I be confident that this is conclusive. I keep hearing about 12/13 weeks or 84/90 days. Any help from anybody would be great.

Mike
If you had a negative HIV antibody test @ 86 days post expsoure then you are negative 100%.

84 days = 12 weeks = three months.

looks like you LUCKED OUT...this time.

until you are in a monogamous relationship where both of you have tested...ALWAYS use a condom.   sex lasts a few minutes...HIV LASTS A LIFETIME ! ! ! ! !
hello i have swollen lympth nodes in groin and neck area for 1-2 months now, i had protected sex with a hooker for 20 minutes and got tested after 1 week, 6 weeks, and 3rd one was 5months after the sex.. what are the chances them swollen nodes being hiv?
Please do NOT hijack others' threads. If you have a question, start a new thread. If you had a NEGATIVE result on an HIV antibody test 3 months or more after your last risk, it is CONCLUSIVE.

-JC-
sorry just signed up  , dont know how this site works so i though u put a name down to get answers
OK.

-JC-
I had a protected intercourse (however foreplay did not include condom) with a prostitute earlier this year and started to freak out. I did the HIV test 5 weeks after and the result was negative. Should I still be worried? Thanks.
You never had an exposure and in the future do not pull up and post to old threads.