HIV Prevention Community
HIV negative but symptoms of being positive

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I had a possible exposure to HIV about 7 yrs ago and ever since then I have had several different HIV related illnessess.  I initially suffered flu like sypmtoms about 1 month after the possible exposure and then I started having night sweats, unexplained fever, reoccurring vaginal infections, white coating of my tongue, severe anemia, HPV and folliculitus (folliculitis).  I have had about 7 HIV antibody tests done and they all have been negative.  I want to know if its possible that I am in fact positive but need to have another method of testing done.  I am so worried and confused.  Not to mention that I had a baby 3 yrs ago and the possibility that he may have the virus due to me is unbearable.  Please help!!!
Youd ont have HIV. You have the tests for proof. Relax.
No. If you tested negative on a standard antibody test beyond the window period, there's no need to consider further testing as it would clearly mean that you are conclusively HIV negative. Please see a doctor for your discomforts, HIV doesn't seem to be the cause of your problems, in that case.

As a standard protocol, they test your HIV status before you deliver a baby at the hospitals and my math tells me that this puts an end to all your HIV speculation. If you were realy positive, they would have certainly informed you.

Please try to work with a doctor to figure out what's the real cause of your problems and also consider a therapy, meds and counseling can definitely bring in a lot of mental peace. You need to understand that discomforts, illness and opportunistic infections associated with HIV are vast and varied, it's certainly not a miniscule chance to just come across some illness that the list of symptoms associated with HIV reads, it's just a mere coincidence. I recently had thrush, that doesn't mean I am HIV positive. It's thrush any one can have it!

Good Luck
thank you for your response! I am still having worries about this because I know I can list all of my illnessess and date them back to them starting after my possible exposure.  I have been living in fear for 7yrs and I have to put a stop to it all.  I have one more question though, are there other ways to be tested for the virus that I may be able to have done?
You don't need further testing. Seek professional mental help if you can't accept your negative results.