HIV Prevention Community
HIV results and medication

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIV results and medication

Hello and thank you for sites like this. It's amazing the service you offer.

I recently had sex with a sex worker. It was Protected sex which I realise means low risk of exposure. After 30 days I had a 4th gen test done which has come back negative.

My question relates to medication i'm taking for ulcerative colitis. I'm currently taking budesonide steroids 6mg daily and mercaptopurine 75mg daily. Can either of these affect the outcome of my HIV results? Could they cause a false negative?

Any advice on this matter will be greatly received.
Condom protected sex is not low it is zero. You don't have an HIV concern and didn't need testing.
Thanks. That's what I suspected.

Just to put a stupid mind to rest are my concerns about the medication I'm on relevant should I have had an actual exposure?
Avatar n tn
You had Zero risk. A condom used correctly is a 100% Barrier for HIV infection.
I hear you loud and clear and I'm sorry for posting again.
I just would like to know if it's possible for the medication I'm taking to impair the HIV tests I'm having. No one knows for sure if the condom didn't fail when I slept with the sex worker. I'm just looking for peace of mind and my concern about medication is all that's bothering me. If anyone can answer my question then I can move on with my life and stop pestering you all.
Please advise
Move on with your life that you didn't have a risk. If the condom had broken then you would have seen it broken. If you decide to test then fine we can't stop you but it's a waste of time and money.
I understand what you're saying. Is there any chance of a response regarding the question about medication and false negative results? I was very drunk when I went to the sex worker so things could have happened that I can't even remember, despite my best efforts
How can you have a false negative without a risk.

No medication will not effect test results.
Much appreciated. Thanks for your time