HIV Prevention Community
HIV risk and test

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV risk and test

about 9 weeks ago, I had receptive anal sex. I felt no pain at all around the rectum, the sex lasted around 2-4 minutes, and though we DID use protection, the HIV status of this individual was unknown. I went in for an HIV Elisa 3rd Gen. test at almost 5 weeks as my nerves were getting the best of me. I got the results back a few days later that said Non-Reacvite.

I started to feel more confident that I was HIV negative, but I kept checking my symptoms and reading online and I again got nervous. My symptoms started a little over 6 weeks post-exposure and they included very low grade fever (no greater than 99.4) and fatigue. I started becoming a nervous wreck and then I noticed a small, non-raised, slightly purple rash on my left forearm that did not itch or grow more and it appeared to be an area of small dots. The rash became more visible when I rubbed it a bit and then faded back. That was when I became convinced that I had the virus.

So I decided to get tested the next day which was exactly 6.5 weeks post-exposure. While waiting for the results, the rash went away after I started calming down more (about 3 days after testing) and I finally got my results about 5 days later with a Non-Reactive result.

I felt so much better for about 2 weeks, until now. I again have become very nervous and am noticing symptoms like soft stool, small joint pain on my knees and elbows, dry cough and a runny nose accompanied with sneezing. No fever, no more rash, no white tongue (I was able to wash it off and went away after rehydrating). There has been a cold going around for a while at the house where I live at with 45 other kids, so maybe that's what these symptoms are from..

Questions:

1. Is my 4 week 3rd Gen Elisa negative result reliable?
2. Is my 6.5 week 3rd Gen Elisa negative result reliable?
3. Could my rash and other symptoms be from stress or cold?
4. If I had a rash a day before my 6.5 week test that was due to ARS, could it be that my test was a false negative because the antibodies had just started being produced or would the rash indicate enough levels of antibodies to be detected?
5. How confident can I be that I do not have HIV and that my results won't changed based on the previous results?

P.S.: I live in the U.S. so I would assume that the standard tests here are 3rd Gen.. and I have heard from many people saying that a Negative result at 4-6 weeks is next to impossible to change. I have no immune disorders that I know of that would cause my sero-conversion to be delayed.

Please, please help me, and sorry for the long description.

It has now been around 8.5-9 weeks and I have began feeling joint pain/body aches for the past 3 days. Please help
You never had an exposure.
Thank you, Teak. A few more questions.

Then can I take my 6.5 week test as highly accurate? Do you think this result will change the next time I think? I have had no other sexual activity, after this one. I keep getting paranoid and keep getting anxious.

Would I be noticing symptoms this late after exposure if this were HIV?

Do you think I have HIV?
Why would you even ask those questions after what Teak told you?
Because I am afraid. Anythig different I notice, I relate to HIV... :(
How certain can I be that I don't have it after testing negative @ 4 and 6.5 weeks?
Reread the replies you have been given.