HIV Prevention Community
HIV risk from vaginal discharge

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV risk from vaginal discharge

I recently bought a pair of knickers through a mail order catalogue and as always I washed them before I wore them, but yesterday I was wearing them when I had my period, when I went to the toilet and removed my sanitary towel I noticed some dry discharge across the gussett area. I am now worried because either that was from a person who had tried them on before and they hadn't washed properly in my machine or I have worn them since I bought them (can't remember wearing them, but my husband is sure I have) and had a slight discharge which has not washed away properly in the machine. Either way I am now worried that I may have caught something because that means they had been in a machine with dirty clothes and hadn't had a proper wash and then I wore them, it also means that they were possibly in with a t-shirt I washed which had blood on it from the lady who delivered my shopping a while ago and cut her hand. Would the t-shirt have contaminated the knickers and everything else in the machine if it hadn;t washed properly? And if that was somebody else's discharge would it still have a chance of being contaminated or not since it was dry? Sounds crazy but is worrying me now, as I wonder what else in my wardrobe is contaminated
first it was contaminated mail
then it was a contaminated box in the kitchen cupboard
next in line was a mark on top of a spray can
after that it was contaminated ice cream
following, was the nurse pricking your baby's heel
then...the food delivery person
last, but not least...contaminated knickers

i'm putting this all in writing, hoping you will see how IRRATIONAL you have become.  

if and when you have unprotected sex with someone and you dont know their status OR you share iv drug works...THEN you have a REAL concern.  until that time...please keep all your questions on the appropriate forum...OCD
" Sounds crazy but is worrying me now, as I wonder what else in my wardrobe is contaminated "

wow...very irrational thinking.  your best bet is to seek the help of a mental health professional.

hiv is transmitted through...
unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse
sharing iv drug works
mother to child

hiv is NOT transmitted through environmental surfaces or inanimate objects.
first it was contaminated mail
then...the food delivery person