HIV Prevention Community
HIV risk?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV risk?

My girlfriend and I perfomed oral sex on a man without a condom. There was no ejaculation/semen however there was a small amount of pre-cum. I was wondering if there was any chance of catching HIV this way? I have been researching and apparently there has only been 1 ever case documented of someone catching HIV this way. I've been told the risk is very low indeed.

However, my convern grew a little although I had no bleeding gums, hadn't had any dental work etc, there was two cold sore around my lips (the sides) that hadn't fully healed and notice a drop of blood from one 2 days after. Would these tiny opening make a difference and surely the viral load of pre-cum would have had to been very high?

Is it true the risk would still be very low and the main worry may been any other STIs that I could have caught?
Thanks,
Oral sex poses no risk for HIV transmission.
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
Thanks for your comments.
Would there be any circumstances where it would be possible to get HIV from oral sex? toothe removed with ejaculation in the mouth?

Although the above didn't happen in my case.

Thanks again.
I am sure you can come up with situations that would pose a risk but in those situations you would not be giving oral sex to someone.
What kind of situations would pose a risk with oral I was told no risk by others
Do not post your questions in other people's thread.
Are we saying that there is absolutely no circumstances unprotected sex can be performed on someone who is HIV positive and there is no possibility of getting HIV?

Some people have said that even if you have unprotected sex with people who have HIV it wouldn't be possible to catch HIV every time? How is that worked out?

Thanks, T
What we are saying is that oral sex is not a risk. And if you want a possible risk then get punched in the jaw 10 times or take a razor to the inside of your mouth and right after that give oral sex.

HIV is a fragile virus so transmission does not always happen with sex, but it's like playing Russian Roulette...do you really want to.
Thanks, charities also mention bleeding gums, uclers, sore throats can also add to the risk of HIV is someone ejaculates semen into someone mouth.

So the conclusion is that pre-cum contains an absolute minimal risk even with tiny cold sores etc?

I really do hope that there will oneday be a cure for all serious illness a relative died at 18 has really shocked me.
Thanks,