HIV Prevention Community
HIV test Question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HIV test Question

Hi Dr. I am a 20 year old male, had unprotected anal sex (1st time) about a week ago with a another man (penetration occurred only once where I was the top). I regret it but that's something irrelevant to this post. My questions are the following:

1) I've heard and been told to get my HIV test (blood test to see if antibodies are present in my blood) after 6 months of the sexual encounter, however, I've read some post in this forum that after 3 months the test should be also accurate in determining the HIV unknown status.
Is the test truly accurate after 3 months?

2) I have also read that the chances of getting HIV from my case is 1/100, how reliable is that number? Is 1/100 the chance  of getting HIV from an infected person, or the chance of getting HIV from a partner with HIV unknown status?
3) What does "viral load" mean? the amount of seminal fluid or the number of viruses in the seminal fluids?

My casual sexual partner told me that he was negative, and got his results back a few days ago, but I cannot trust him because he always has unprotected sex and also hooks up often with different guys. Thus I am panicking right now.

I am trying to calm down, but this was my first time having anal sex and I obviously didn't choose someone I could trust.

Thank you so much for time Dr.

Sincerely, Nacho

1. 3 months is conclusive
2. You can contract HIV on your first exposure
3. Number of virus particles in your blood unless you did a seminal fluid test and I doubt it since you aren't known to be positive.
Don't trust anyone's word for their status
thanks for answering