HIV Prevention Community
HIV through sharing drinks

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIV through sharing drinks

hello.
i was wondering if its possible to contract hiv through sharing a drink with an affected person. in example, if the person has an open, bleeding mouth sore can you take a drink out of their cup and get it? i am asking because a friend of mine is hiv+ and i didnt know this. we shared a beer the other night and im really scared now. she had a canker sore that may or may not have been bleeding in her mouth and i also have an open wound on my gums right under my bottom teeth that was bleeding a little before we began drinking. she would take a drink and then i would so we touched the same bottle within seconds. please help me because i am so scared.
No it is not possible to contract HIV from drink after anyone with HIV>
Avatar n tn
even if she was bleeding and the blood got into my mouth sore?

my cousin said that virus wouldnt be able to live because of the alcohol...is this true?
No one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Your cousin is totally wrong.