HIV Prevention Community
HIv Antigen and HIV 1/2 Antibody Test

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

HIv Antigen and HIV 1/2 Antibody Test

Hi again

I found out yesterday my 11 week test was a combined Antigen and Antibody test not a standard antibody test as once thought.

How does this differ from the standard antibody test... does the antibody and antigen test make the test more reliable??

From a testing point of view ANY HIV test perfomed around the 11 week mark will give you an accurate result, either way. As has been stated many times on the HIV forums and by Dr HHH. See the Dr's advice on "time to positive HIV test". That should reassure you.

Okay, the Ag/Ab test you had is designed to indentify early HIV infection. The P24 Antigen is a protein that is produced in the blood stream before antibodies are produced.

Avatar n tn
Thanks guys,

I just got a bit confused about what this test tested for.

I am just glad this is all over and i can move on......

So just curious, with the ab/ag test could you assume if you dont have the antigen .. you wont have the antibodies..... is that how it works , because antigen shows up earlier???

And therefore if i dont have ag or ab at 11 weeks, then i am probably not going to.  

I think my tesst is about 99.9% accurate, what do you guys think about reliability at 11 weeks.....
Avatar n tn
You're from Australia, right?  They have like the best clinics in the world dude! relax! you got the Duo test as it's known.

rob73! speaks the truth.

-WorriedUS
I read somewhere that there is a window period of approx 6 days where its too late to detect antigen but too early to detect antibodies. just FYI.

I too am from Australia and I received negative results for ag/ab test at 4.5 and 9.5 weeks.

IMO your result is pretty much conclusive, get tested after 3 months just for peace of mind. I will be doing the same.

Peace.
You read wrong. You are being reported to medhelp for bringing up dead threads.
How reliable Anti HIV  Elisa(1,2) & Anti HIV (Capillus Method) in Asian Country like Bangladesh is?
reliable...dont bring up a dead thread..if you have a question post it in the forum
what was it for a test? was it an elisa p24 hiv 1/2 test?
Yes it an elisa that look for both antigen and antibody and very reliable when taken outside window period.