HIV Prevention Community
Has anyone ever been infected

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Has anyone ever been infected

via tattooing?
not that i have ever read and i don't believe the instrument used would be able to transmit HIV because blood is not kept in an air tight container. When HIV is exposed to air shortly after it is rendered inactive.
Avatar n tn
thanks vance! that's a bit relieving =)
any body else have input?
Ditto what Vance said. There have been no reported cases of HIV transmission to CDC through receiving a tattoo.
Thanks for the info joggen
As someone who has plenty of tattoo's I can tell you that yes it is possible to become infected with HIV (and other blood bourne pathogens like Hep) from tattooing.

However, any tattoo artist who cares about his work, will never, ever use dirty needles, guns or colours on a client. In fact they will go to great pains to demonstratoe this by opening there sterile needles in front of each new client as well as pouring new colours into new pots.

oh, and the artist will alwasy wear latex gloves to protect both him(her)self and you.

Most tattoo studio's are regluated by public health departments and all resueable equipment, like the guns are cleaned in an autoclave machine.

So while possible it's possible the real risk is closer to zero provided you use a registed and professional tattoo artist and studio.

Hope this helps.
There has never been anyone in the history of HIV been infected with HIV from tattooing.
I never said there had been. I made the point that it is at least possible.
After 30 years it's not possible.