HIV Prevention Community
Help! High risk mistake!

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Help! High risk mistake!

around 10 days ago I drunkenly did insertive anal with a man. I know it is a high risk activity and i DO plan on getting tested asap.

My question here is how long do symptoms take to come into effect and how long until the testing could be effective? and what should i do till then? sweat and wait!?!

I am so stressed about it and im also concerned that the stress is bringing on the symptoms! i already have a kinda sore mouth and tiredness (however I am travelling so that could be that) and am worried.

So if someone could give me some support on the above would be so helpful - i am NOT scared for my life if i have HIV i am scared that I wont be able to find a partner and have kids cause of this one drunken mistake if im positive

THANKS!!!!
I am assuming it was unprotected.Look,if one were to get symptoms they would appear 2 to 4 weeks post--exposure with very high fevers & body rash being the most common.I would have an antibody test at 6 weeks for a very good indication of your status--you will then require another test at 3 months for a final result.All the best.
Yes it was unprotected sorry to mention. Yes tests will taken!

If we assume the man was HIV positive, roughly what are  the chances of getting HIV from this one encounter?

Also the sex only lasted <5 mins and ejaculation occured outside the anus... does that make contraction slightly less likely?

Also the early detection test (more expensive), how muh roughly does it cost?

thanks for your help
It was a risk as you know & we were having a lengthy discussion about tests for early detection like the HIV DUO which is supposed to give a result at 4 weeks which is 99.89% reliable but apparently from our top expert here--Teak this may not be the case.You are better off having an antibody test at 6 weeks which is much cheaper & will provide you with an excellent indication of your status thus far,you would then have to repeat the test at 3 months again.All the best.
thank you for your help!

I had a Clearview test today, came back negative, however I dont have my hopes up cause its bee exactly 3 weeks since the incident so not long...

Im just wondering though, they say the average window period is 24 days, so assuming im average, any test taken after 24 days should give a decent chance of being correct?

Obviously would do a 6 week and 3 month test, just interested of course!

If you have any info/talk on Clearview would be good to know thanks
Don't waste your money on a duo test, just obtain an antibody test and then obtain you conclusive test result 3 months post exposure.