HIV Prevention Community
Help! Tested negative at 6 weeks but sttill scared

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

HEllo,
I am wondering if a 6 week test is good enough?
I am a 23 year old female, who is pretty healthy. The last time i had sex it began with a condom and then he removed it. Since I began to get paranoid, I had him pull out (2mins after taking the condom off). I don't believe semen was neer exchanged because he told me that he did not ejaculate. I had a pap smear done a 4 weeks, and a blood test at 4 and 6 weeks. All came back negative. No signs of any STDs. Can I rest assure that I am fine? I have known the guy for 6 years. He said he is in good health.
Tags: negative, 6, 6 weeks
You will need to take an HIV antibody test at 3 months post exposure for you conclusive result.
Your 6 week test is a very good indication of your hiv status and is unlikely to change. A 8 week 4th gen test is 99.9 % if available.
I went in for a 8 week check. It came back negative. The test used was an ELISA test. But the clinic said that this doesn't mean it is conclusive. She said the window period is 2 weeks to 6 months. I don't understand this.
3 months post exposure is conclusive.
Thanks Teak. Do you know why clinics give people a window period of 6 months? Is 2 months pretty good too?
6 months is the old guideline. 3 months is conclusive.
So clinics are following the old guide lines? I asked her that I read that it could take up to 6 months if you are on chemo or such, and she told me I was wrong.
Tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Thanks, I actually felt like telling her. Before attending the clinic, I had done a lot of research. I even asked my health science professor. I had one last question.

1. How much of the virus is in pre-cum? Is it a significant amount?
this doesnt matter, You do not have HIV
Thanks, I have been going through a whole lot of emotions lately. I think this was a wake up call.