Aa
A
A
Close
High Risk Lifestyle
I have had high risk encounters. I am not proud of this fact. I had unprotected sex with women I did not know, 1 time including unprotected anal sex. All of these encounters ended over 15 months ago. All one night stands.
The last woman I dated told me she was tested. I took an antibody test at planned parenthood 15 weeks after we had unprotected vaginal and oral sex. It came back negative. I was screened by my doctor at 18 weeks. Negative. Do I need more testing? Can I rely on these results? Is the 6 month window something I should consider because of my previous lifestyle? Thank you for any and all replies. I feel weak, like achey, but I assume this is much too late for ARS. I cannot sleep, but I'm hopeful that it's only stress.
Cancel
17 Answers
Page 1 of 1
186166_tn?1385262982
3 months is CONCLUSIVE
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Do you think with my high risks, unprotected that testing out to 6 months is neccessary?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
3 months is CONCLUSIVE.
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
WRONG ! ! !

the only ppl who might need to test longer than 3 months are those with a SEVERELY COMPROMISED immune system.  this would include ppl on chemotherapy...taking anti-rejection drugs following an organ transplant...and CHRONIC iv drug users.

THE CURRENT GUIDELINE FOR A RELIABLE AND CONCLUSIVE TEST RESULT IS 3 MONTHS POST EXPOSURE.
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I have read this here before. The 3 month conclusive. I called the AIDS hotline, and they said the same, with a 6 week test being a good indicator, 3 months being conclusive if you are not immune system compromised.
I just don't know where that information comes from.
I do not mean to seem ungrateful, I am not, thank you for your posting. I just fear I cannot believe it. I suffer from a dry cough for over a month, sore muscles, I wake up after 3 or 4 hours of sleep with pains in my arms that I cannot atribute to anything.
All during the days my muscles ache off an on. Especially my arms and neck.
I tested out to 4 months, I guess I keep testing.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
fear is not fact ! ! !

you have a conclusive test result...kindly move on.  you do not have a hiv concern
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Again, I do not mean to sound ungrateful. Sorry if it came off that way. I just fear that I will have to keep testing. Thank you for your replies. I do appreciate them.
I just don't know where the 'immune compromised' comes from.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your test was conclusive you do not have HIV.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thank you Teak, thank you Lizzie Lou. I appreciate you both. Very much. My insistence that I have HIV is in no way, shape or form, any reflection on your help. I have done things that I know you can acquire HIV from. I have aches I have never had before. In my heart of hearts, (which I know isn't science or medicine), I know I have this.
I sincerely appreciate  you both, please don't misunderstand that.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
with your conclusive test result...this forum has nothing left to offer.
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I know, and I thank you both. I do not mean to sound disrespectful in the least. Thank you both for your time.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Did the window period change from 6 to 3 months because of the advances in the tests? I mean, otherwise, how could they know an immune system strong person at 3 months? The planned parenthood nurse told me to come back in 3 months, making a total of 6. The Mass. Hotline says 6 weeks is a good indactor, and 3 months is conclusive too, if all is true, as I pray that it is, why did the nurse say to return in 3 more? If its been over 18 weeks since my last unprotected sexual encounter, would I be suffering from sore muscles and night sweats this far out? My night sweats are not my whole body, just my head, which I believe has always happened, but everything is scaring me now. Would this be ARS now?
Thank you any and all.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
3 months has been the guideline since 2004.
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
is that because the testing has become more accurate?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I just read on a site, and maybe this is wrong, correct me if so.....'may suggest testing out to a year if the person was a known positive'.
This makes no sense to me, if the window is 3 moths, or even 6 months, aren't I testing because I assume the person was pos?
Why would people say 3 or 6 month if this information is true....can someone help me here?
Yes, I'm obviously very scared even with my 18 week negative, b/c over a year ago I was promiscuous.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
186166_tn?1385262982
your test is CONCLUSIVE ! ! !

kindly move on...you do not have a hiv concern
Comment
Cancel
186166_tn?1385262982
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
High Risk Lifestyle
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources