HIV Prevention Community
Hiv post-exposure prophylaxis. how about the effectiveness of losing ju...

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hiv post-exposure prophylaxis. how about the effectiveness of losing just one dose?

hi,sir.  1 month ago, I did something very stupid, I mean I had receptive anal sex with a hiv-positive gay man with semen directly ejaculated into my anal. I knew it was very dangerous, and took prophylaxis medication within 12 hours after the exposure(about 12h). My regimen was Zidovudine+Lamivudine+Aluvia, bid. however, on the second day after my first dose, I missed one dose that night, and on the next day , I continued to take the regular dose. I mean , on the first day, I took regular dose, 12h, bid. on the second day, I only took the morning dose, and missed the evening dose, on the third day I took the regular dose. and from then on, I completely finished the 28 days regimen. Even if I began to calculate the initial time on the third day, and ignored the 3 doses I'd taken beforehand, it was still within 72h. my question was (1) considering my situation, what about the prevention effectiveness? the preventive effectiveness could reach 100% or not? Did the one miss have a big impact on the prevention effect? (2) when should I calculate the initial time of my first dose, from the very beginning or from the second time I restarted my regular doses(after that evening miss)? urgent for your reply...
It's only has an 86% effective rate with 100% compliance.
but I missed one dose, did it have a big impact on the effectiveness? I was so warried about it, please help me.
Your risk was low to begin with. I doubt that it has much of an impact just one dose.
sir, I had repetive anal sex with a HIV-positive gay man without a condom.and he ejaculated into my anal..I thought it was extremely dangerous... u meant that losing one dose would significantly reduce the  whole effectiveness? dose it has a 50% effecitve rate? I beg your reply, sir. I'm now really worried about it ...plz help me.
I'm sorry for not reading your correctly. You are right that is one of the highest risks that you knowingly took.  ". I knew it was very dangerous," You are worried now? worrying now is not going to change a thing. Don't miss anymore doses.
thanks teak, for your reply, since I've finished the 28 days regimen, with only one dose missing on the second day night, I want to make sure that just losing one dose would significantly reduce the effectiveness? Given my situation, dose it have a 50% effective rate... or how much rate dose it have...
I would have finished taking it till they were all gone.
sorry teak, I didn`t quite understand your reply, would you please just tell me the truth... dose it have no preventive effect at all?? just one dose meant that prevention totally failed?? I really BEG your reply... if drug prevention failed, I would be 100% infected, please, help me. what should I do right now...
Did you take the missed dose?
no, i forgot to take drugs on the second day night, and on the next day, i started again, 12h, bid. my regimen was Zidovudine+Lamivudine+Aluvia, i mean, i missed one dose of  Zidovudine+Lamivudine+Aluvia...you mean I should add one dose more on the end?
That would have been the smartest thing to do.
thanks, teak, I indeed took one more dose at the end. lose one dose, but add one dose at the end... then what was the effective rate? could it reach 80%? BEG ur reply.
All you need is the test results. 3 months after your last dose will give you your conclusive negative test result. Start using condoms and good luck.
thanks, Teak, u mean, it may be effective, right? I still have a chance that I didn't get infected, right?
Yes there is a chance you never got infected.
sorry to bother you, Teak, I still want to make sure that, as far as u concerned, my infection rate is high or low, considering my situation-- taking prevetion drugs, losing one dose, and adding one dose at the end...I doubt whether I still have a very high chance of getting infected or not...
Your risk was HIGH and you increased your chance by having multiple exposures.