HIV Prevention Community
Hiv through infected throat

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hiv through infected throat

Last year (2012), early April i performed oral sex on a guy and swallowed his ejaculate, i also made out with him (or anyone for that matter) for the first time. Around the 20th of April my tonsils became enlarged and had white spots on them. I went to my doctor, he performed a strep test which was negative. He prescribed some anti-biotics and a few days later the white spots dissappeared. For two weeks the white spots were gone, then they came back. So i went back to the doctor and he prescirbed amoxicillin (a large dosage). The white spots have been gone ever since, but my tonsils remained large, but have never hurt (they in fact never hurt the entire time.) My doctor said there was nothing to worry about in regrads to my tonsils being big, so i havn't worried. I have continued to give and recieve oral sex to about 3 different men. (I'm male) I ask all my partners about their status, and if there is any who don't know, i don't swallow at all, i don't want even a minimal risk from swallowing. Of course i'm sure some guys say they are negative or clean when they in fact just assume, but i try and maximise safety to a degree, no un protected anal sex. I'm worried now though that perhaps my doctor just didn't recoginize my throat symptoms and that i have had maybe Gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) or Syphillis (syphilis) this entire time, a whole year! Furthermore that i have been performing oral sex on people. Now i don't know if I have Gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) or Syphillis (syphilis) in my throat, I'm planning on getting tested soon, and I know the opinion of Medhelp is that HIV is not spread through Oral Sex (giving or recieving), but what about if i had Gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) or Syphillis (syphilis) in my throat at the time? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
You don't get syphilis of the throat. Syphilis is a whole body infection that starts with a syphilis sore where the virus enters the body.

As for gonorrhea, it is true that other STD's increase the risk for HIV transmission, but saliva renders HIV inactive. So it is still not a risk.
I should also add that it would be wise to use condoms for oral because of other STD's.